[NA] Voluntary monocular vision?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Has anyone experience with this? Someone I know has been talked into VMV (my term) by their optometrist. The way it is supposed to work is, you get a contact lens for one eye that is set for reading, ie - close-up work. The other eye is fitted with a contact set for distance. Gets it all covered, right? Well, I have concerns about potential downsides.

a) how long has this technique been in use?

b) is there harm to the eye apparatus or brain possible, from being constantly in the 'near' or 'far' mode all the time, and inactive the rest of the time? Or from the apparent assymetry presented to the visual cortex?

c) is it a one-way road, ie once you have done this for a year or two, can the eyes/brain ever adjust again to their natural state?

d) is the loss of binocular vision especially for risky tasks a concern ie driving?

that sounds wacky to me. when a lens falls out of my glasses, and one eye sees something different than the other, my equilibrium gets all screwy. headaches etc.

I don't have any experience with them,but I do know that the FAA doesn't allow them because they can effect your depth perception.

This accident was attributed in part to Monovision contacts.

VMV as you call it, is the subject of question 17b on the 8500-8. Contacts or lenses, one for near and one for far, are verboten.

You can get it burned in e.g, Lasik or PRK, but if you do you are grounded for six months.

Why? Because if the brain gets the signals all the time, it manages to figure out which image to process. But if the lenses are in sometimes and out others, NOT SO, thus the Delta accident at LGA.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X06964&key=1

While your original questions were never really answered, I think you now realize that monovision contacts are not an option if you want to fly. However, I have bifocal contacts that include astigmatic correction (latest technology on the market). If you want to ditch all your glasses (including the reading glasses I needed with my old distant vision-correcting contacts before I could get astigmatic and bifocal in the same contact lens), let me know, and I'll put you in touch with my wizard optomotrist who can get you with someone in your area who works with that technology.

PS: Don't throw all those glasses away -- keep one pair in the plane in case something bad happens with your contacts in flight.

PS: Don't throw all those glasses away -- keep one pair in the plane in case something bad happens with your contacts in flight.

yes, on my last medical i checked the box that said that i flew with contact lenses, cause i occasionally did, although i dont now. I had to tell the doc that i would carry glasses with me when flying with contacts.

...If you want to ditch all your glasses (including the reading glasses I needed with my old distant vision-correcting contacts before I could get astigmatic and bifocal in the same contact lens), let me know, and I'll put you in touch with my wizard optomotrist who can get you with someone in your area who works with that technology.
FWIW, there is a limit to how much astimgatism can be corrected by bifocal contacts, even by wizard optomotrist technology. Some of us fall outside that window. IOW, if the contact lens manufacturing people can't/don't make the corrective contact lenses then we folks with major astigmatism can't wear the contact lenses that don't exist. The techology continues to develop & improve, and I suspect you simply have now managed to slide across the current technology line (or the line slid across you), but some of us are still trapped on the far side of that line.

FWIW, I wear contacts to ski (only need far vision for that activity), but for the rest of life I need glasses.

FWIW, there is a limit to how much astimgatism can be corrected by bifocal contacts, even by wizard optomotrist technology. Some of us fall outside that window. IOW, if the contact lens manufacturing people can't/don't make the corrective contact lenses then we folks with major astigmatism can't wear the contact lenses that don't exist.
True, but my left contact lens has over two diopters of astigmatic correction, and I understand that's a bunch. Perhaps Ed has a "three sigma" eye, but based on my experience, it's worth asking -- the worst they can do is say "unable."

FWIW, there is a limit to how much astimgatism can be corrected by bifocal contacts, even by wizard optomotrist technology. Some of us fall outside that window. IOW, if the contact lens manufacturing people can't/don't make the corrective contact lenses then we folks with major astigmatism can't wear the contact lenses that don't exist.
True, but my left contact lens has over two diopters of astigmatic correction, and I understand that's a bunch. Perhaps Ed has a "three sigma" eye (or perhaps my astigmatism isn't as bad as I thought), but based on my experience, it's worth asking -- the worst they can do is say "unable."

No problem bringing it back to aviation for me but I will point out the "[NA]" in the title: its not about an aviator. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum with it to begin with, my fault. Anyway thanks for the discussion.

This accident was attributed in part to Monovision contacts.

I was a witness to this accident; I was aboard a flight preparing to push back at LGA. I happened to be looking out the window when the plane slid into my visual field, rotating on its belly so it came to rest approx 180 degrees from the landing heading. The airport was closed and we had to disembark, get our bags, and go home.

What is remarkable to me about this accident report is that it does not mention the weather. It was certifiably awful. I wish I had saved the METAR. The wind was very strong with very significant gusts. Our Captain had already told us to strap in tight and hang on, as the takeoff portion was going to be exceptionally turbulent.

I have no medical standing to disagree with the accident report's probable cause. My sole comment is that because there is no mention of the wind and gusts in the report, that it looks to me like the NTSB used this report to further an agenda: no monocular contacts.

-Skip

No problem bringing it back to aviation for me but I will point out the "[NA]" in the title: its not about an aviator. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum with it to begin with, my fault. Anyway thanks for the discussion.
Yeah -- you really need an ophtalmologists/optometrists forum for this one, and I forget the name of the who the ophtalmologist who used to hang around AOPA's web board. If you want to talk to a nonaviator optometrist who really knows contact lenses, PM or email me, and I'll put you in touch.

My sole comment is that because there is no mention of the wind and gusts in the report, that it looks to me like the NTSB used this report to further an agenda: no monocular contacts.

-Skip
Quite the opposite, Skip. The pilot was given the choice of pleading "I screwed up" or "my vision screwed up" and guess what he took......

Quite the opposite, Skip. The pilot was given the choice of pleading "I screwed up" or "my vision screwed up" and guess what he took......
I didn't know that. Regardless, a brief review of NTSB reports will show that many reports contain contributing factors other than the one chosen for the probable cause. .... and I find it strange that this one did not.

But maybe I'm looking for trouble where there is none. Thanks for the information.

-Skip

My wife's been doing this for over six years now and no problems (except a funny story), however her eyes aren't that bad.

Story - when transferring to FL a few years ago we had to go in and get our D/L's changed and they made us do an eye test. My wifecame back puzzled saying she passed the test fine with one eye but couldn't pass with the other. She was puzzled until I pointed out that the eye she couldn't pass with had her "reading" contact.

My eyes aren't that bad. I can still pass the vision test (other than color) for driving and 3rd class medical without glasses or contacts. However, I don't feel safe without them! I am slightly near sighted with astigmatism.

I wear contacts most of the time for driving, work, etc. However, I wear glasses when I fly. My contacts dry out on long trips in the plane. I also worry about one shifting at a bad moment, like when landing the plane!

I would never consider the monocular vision. I would feel safer with the "normal" methods of dealing with aging. I will soon be getting bifocals instead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back