[NA]Using Spybot[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I downloaded and ran a scan with spybot for the first time, and I'm unsure how to use the info.

It found several red things on my computer and is asking if I want to remove them.

Microsoft.Windows.AppFirewallBypass, two entries

Microsoft.Windows.SecurityCenter.AntivirusOverride; one entry

all three entries start with one of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE............
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM.................

Do I want to remove them?

(This all came about because of my search for a solution to the ongoing problem of "Limited or No Connectivity" to my router. I have tried the fix or patch from MS, no joy.)

I downloaded and ran a scan with spybot for the first time, and I'm unsure how to use the info.

It found several red things on my computer and is asking if I want to remove them.

(This all came about because of my search for a solution to the ongoing problem of "Limited or No Connectivity" to my router. I have tried the fix or patch from MS, no joy.)

Try to give us a clue.

What does it say in those entires? Is there a name of an application?

I believe the first one is connected to network installations/migrations of Windows (upgrades, Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, etc.) and allows the process to bypass the firewall. I wouldn't swear to this, but I'm pretty sure it's only needed during an upgrade, transfer, or network install. Knowing what else the key says will help.

The second is a change than Norton (and possibly some other vendors) makes in order to disable Windows from notifying you when the antivirus is out-of-date. Norton claims it conflicts with their own security center. I personally think that's nonsense, but that's just my opinion.

I would let Spybot fix both of them, personally.

As for your loss of connectivity, you can always try WinsockFix, assuming it's an XP machine. There are dozens of reasons why you can be losing your connection, but this little tool quickly fixes a few of the more common ones.

Otherwise, try posting a HJT log. Could be a bad LSP stuck in there or something along those lines.

Rich

Try to give us a clue.
What does it say in those entires? Is there a name of an application?

sorry, I am so used to you guys knowing what the problem is before I get very far along; or maybe I was too lazy to type it all out!

Attachments

• printscreen.JPG
    printscreen.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
The second is a change than Norton (and possibly some other vendors)
No NAV any longer, just Avast so that could be as you say.

I would let Spybot fix both of them, personally.
Pls let me know if you change your mind after viewing the pic, thks

As for your loss of connectivity, you can always try WinsockFix, assuming it's an XP machine. There are dozens of reasons why you can be losing your connection, but this little tool quickly fixes a few of the more common ones.

I tried that one this morning, no joy - gladly accepting any other ideas on this frustrating issue.

Otherwise, try posting a HJT log. Could be a bad LSP stuck in there or something along those lines.

I would, if only I could! HJT? LSP?
I may need some spoonfeeding here.

These things are tough to diagnose when you're not sitting at the computer because there are so many possibilities. Some useful questions:

When did you lose connectivity?

Did the loss coincide with installing/uninstalling some software or running a malware scan?

Are there any other computers successfully connecting through the router?

Did you have any thunderstorms or power surges lately? (Could be the NIC is fried.)

Did you try right-clicking on the connection and using the "Repair" function? If it didn't succeed, did it give a reason?

If you open a command terminal (Start / Run / type CMD / click OK) and type

IPCONFIG

What does it say?

While in the command line, are you able to successfully ping the router? (Do this by typing

ping (default gateway IP as reported by IPCONFIG), for example,

ping 192.168.0.1 (assuming 198.168.0.1 is the default gateway)

If that is successful, can you ping a Web address? For example:

ping www.yahoo.com

(Note: Your ISP or firewall may block pings, so whether or not you can ping is not necessarily conclusive. It's just a clue.)

Can you connect if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

As for HJT, it's a program known as Hijack This that can be obtained here. You can run it and create a log file that can provide a lot of clues, but don't change anything unless you know what you're doing. Most of what will show up in an HJT scan is legitimate and shouldn't be "fixed." Among the things the HJY log will reveal is the presence of extra LSP's.

LSP stands for Layered Service Provider, some of which are legitimate and some malicious. (That's the simple explanation. It's actually more complicated, but that's enough for now.) Some spyware programs install LSP's, and when the spyware is removed in an incomplete way, the LSP stays behind, and you lose your connectivity. If you can ping from the command line but IE won't connect, nine out of ten times it's a bad LSP.

In short, there are dozens of reasons why your PC could lose your connectivity. The things above are things we typically do when sitting at a computer, and may provide some clues as to what your particular problem is.

Rich

sorry, I am so used to you guys knowing what the problem is before I get very far along; or maybe I was too lazy to type it all out!

The Override one is saying you have a 0 (off). Does it offer to fix that?

I can't see enough of the first two.

The cookie is nothing to worry about. It just means they can match you up to ID you across sites. Remove it if you want.

You look pretty clean to me. I dunno how you got only 5 warnings from Spybot.

Back