[NA]Trolls[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I always like to know how things turn out, before it actually happens.

So, how do trolls usually end up? Seems like they all eventually go away.
Don't they blow onto the scene, stir up all sorts of chit, then eventually leave?
How does that part happen? Do they usually get booted by mods after enough complaints, or do they feel like their 'work is done here' and move on to the next unsuspecting forum?

Is there a net-wide Troll Blacklist?

Do trolls ever grow up, or is it a perpetual (and tiresome) child-like state which persists well into adulthood?
Is there a TrollsAnon?

Serious questions.

I like to troll the PETA forums and veggieboards. If there was a troll blacklist I wouldnt be allowed here

One mans troll is another mans freedom fighter :D

If this forum is like any of the forums I've run in the past, there's some very patient, sometimes burnt out, volunteers takin' care of bidness behind the scenes. For $0 and a doubling of their salary every year. ;)

The more I become involved with POA and its members, the more I hate the newcomers who seem to me to be trolls. I am starting to care about pilots on POA, and get to know them, and when I see these trolls it just makes me soooooo mad. Argh.

I'm a mod on another forum, and the results can vary greatly... And no, it's not a fun job.

Ryan

There are some, but we do very little banning. It is a generally polite crowd.

Ryan notes, it can be... Interesting.

I always like to know how things turn out, before it actually happens.

So, how do trolls usually end up? Seems like they all eventually go away.
Don't they blow onto the scene, stir up all sorts of chit, then eventually leave?
How does that part happen? Do they usually get booted by mods after enough complaints, or do they feel like their 'work is done here' and move on to the next unsuspecting forum?

Is there a net-wide Troll Blacklist?

Do trolls ever grow up, or is it a perpetual (and tiresome) child-like state which persists well into adulthood?
Is there a TrollsAnon?

Serious questions.

my observations: Trolls tend to prefer unmoderated forums/newsgroups. I've seen some trolls persist for years. One group of trolls was instrumental in effectively killing rec.aviation newsgroups. Prior to that, all the trolls had eventually tired and moved on. It's unlikely that any of them matured.

Newcomer trolls....the worst!

Newcomer trolls....the worst!

Actually we were all newcomers to POA once. And those of us with some time here have seen a lot of terrific folks come aboard over the years. A warm welcome is one thing you can count on from POA. So being a newcomer is certainly not a problem here.

Being a troll could be a problem.
What is a troll? There are many definitions out there including on wikiP, in case a person wanted to learn about it. The definitions include things about a poster who is pointedly antagonistic, with the main goal of evoking emotional responses in their cohorts. I suppose everyone has that right, but ime, POA has never been about exercising their rights especially at the expense of others.
Perhaps some enjoy the presence of a troll; they bring the 'plus' of the short term entertainment factor to a board.

However, some negatives include; a general decline in board morale; sometimes members with valuable experience or insights will quit; the tone of the board changes as a troll brings out the worst in otherwise gentle people; finally, we go from intellectual discussions on topics to pages of hate-filled nonsense....which reduces the board's general value.

So, that is my personal opinion on trolls, and trolling.

Yes, we all have the right to post whatever we want; however, it certainly is a gift to others when we do so with some care and thought.

Y'all have a fine day.

Inferiority complex. Grade school class bully. Call'em what you wish. They need to feel better about themselves by pooping on other people then get torqued off if they can't get the fight they're after.

I'm on another board that they occasionally come in without knowing the mentality of the board and say something idiotic. We reply rationally and politely then after a few more posts realize they're really only there for conflict and hatred so we ignore them and get on with life. Of course not responding properly to being baited PO's them off to no end and we get a very nasty post about how we act so superior to everyone else and are hostile to outsiders who are not in our elitist snob group followed by a paragraph or two of wordy durds. At that point, they either storm off extremely angry because we don't want to fight or if they insist on continuing admin boots them into oblivion.

Damned class bully thugs. That's the reason the very millisecond I was legitimately graduated from HS by the administration, I walked out the door never to be seen or heard from again.

Inferiority complex. Grade school class bully. Call'em what you wish. They need to feel better about themselves by pooping on other people then get torqued off if they can't get the fight they're after.

Damned class bully thugs. That's the reason the very millisecond I was legitimately graduated from HS by the administration at age 26, I walked out the door never to be seen or heard from again.

FTFY :rofl::rofl::rofl:

IMO, this forum suffers from the lack of a "thead ignore" feature that most others seem to have. When the doofus threads first appear, it's usually pretty easy to spot the trolls and phonies, and a huge relief to "put them where the sun don't shine" by use of the ignore feature. Absent that feature, and even if you have added doofus-boy to your ignore list, the thread continues to re-surface ad nauseum.

At some point even the most mild-mannered might be tempted to shoot an arrow or two at the dude. Preent company excepted, of course.

IMO, this forum suffers from the lack of a "thead ignore" feature that most others seem to have. When the doofus threads first appear, it's usually pretty easy to spot the trolls and phonies, and a huge relief to "put them where the sun don't shine" by use of the ignore feature. Absent that feature, and even if you have added doofus-boy to your ignore list, the thread continues to re-surface ad nauseum.

At some point even the most mild-mannered might be tempted to shoot an arrow or two at the dude. Preent company excepted, of course.

True, but you can put the troll on your ignore list. If enough people do that then they don't get the response they crave and (usually) they go somewhere else. Which is fine by me as I'd hate to see one destroy this great bunch.

I just like the ability to make the entire thread go away and eliminate the ongoing distraction that can't possibly come to any good end, especially once I know the instigator is an idiot.

True, but you can put the troll on your ignore list. If enough people do that then they don't get the response they crave and (usually) they go somewhere else. Which is fine by me as I'd hate to see one destroy this great bunch.

Well, if I came off as antagonistic on that reverse runway thread I appologize. It's frustrating when you know what you know and folks tell you you're wrong.

When the name calling started I sorta hit the roof. But I don't consider myself a troll. I'm invested in the topic and didn't start it just to cause controversy. Anyway, there's my take. I'm sure some will disagree.

I use the ignore feature for the Troll. On this forum, I only have one member that I ignore all of his posts, even though he has some expertise in the subject area. Often I end up seeing his comments in a thread when others quote him and reply to him. I make it a point to never reply to his antics or posts. Troll's have an immature need to provoke controversy and upset posters, so not responding to them removes any power that they might have. I think Troll's are intelligent and will eventually notice that they are being ignored, it will take all of the fun out of being a Troll.

Last edited:
The more I become involved with POA and its members, the more I hate the newcomers who seem to me to be trolls. I am starting to care about pilots on POA, and get to know them, and when I see these trolls it just makes me soooooo mad. Argh.

True but...

You, of all people, should understand how inhospitable this place can be to a noob sometimes.

It's definitely a two way street.

Hmmmm. Modified Stockholm syndrome.
:D

Then we have the "trolls" who keep insisting everyone else is wrong, even when presented with appropriate expertise and/or citations. Forunately, there's only a handful of them but they tend to post a lot.

Ignore button is your friend. The idiot can continue the drivel but you don't have to look at it.

Then we have the "trolls" who keep insisting everyone else is wrong, even when presented with appropriate expertise and/or citations. Forunately, there's only a handful of them but they tend to post a lot.

I used the same username until I got permabanned. SavetheManatees!
Was this your avatar?

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

True but...

You, of all people, should understand how inhospitable this place can be to a noob sometimes.

It's definitely a two way street.

Good point. It was pretty bad when I started posting, but that was just one user.

Good point. It was pretty bad when I started posting, but that was just one user.

I'd say it's evolved to a few.

I'll admit I may have sorta steam rolled in here, but I've been civil and only posted my view points, which is what all forum posters SHOULD do.

Then on comes the three amigos with insults, name calling, and extreme hostility. Heck, they've started a whole thread dedicated to tossing me into the fire. I can argue agreeably. Cap'n Ron and I have locked horns over an issue (or two) but in the end I think we come away with mutual respect. I know I respect him at least.

But there are a select few here that there is no reasoning with. I suppose I could cut bait and leave, but I don't want to do that. I think this place has value and I'd like to tap into that and be a part of it. Most places have mods to keep things civil and I'd say this forum could use more mod interaction...but that's me and hey, when in Rome and all.

Besides, if I just ran away then the three amigos win...and that would make me throw up a little in my mouth.

Anyway, to the vast majority posting here, I'm glad I found the place.

edit to add the link

Last edited:
I used to be active on a smaller jeep forum - the (meant in good humor) standard welcome was "eat **** welcome to MC"

Hilarious to see someone new post and a member replies " nice jeep, welcome to the forum blah blah you did a good job welding that. eat **** "

occasionally the newbie would get angry at this greeting and start going on a rampage, then get more and more ****ed off when other members would come in and say eat ****.. it was quite funny

So she writes from her spot under the bridge...:D

Back