NA Trip to Portland

Cooter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Cooter
I'm planning a 3-4 day trip to Portland and was thinking about driving over to the coast and spending a few nights there. Seaside has been recommended by some family, so maybe a night there or up in Astoria. Any recommendations about what to see or places to eat along rhe coast? I'd be interested in any museums worth seeing in Portland as well. This is mostly a getaway so it will be a relaxed schedule. Looking for any insights or recommendations.

Ha! I'm headed to PDX on Monday night. (Father is sick and needs some assistance). I'll be there for at least a week. Seaside, and Astoria are great! You're welcome to come out to Sandy at the base of Mt. Hood. My father is a famous chainsaw carver and his gallery is there. I'll be running the shop while he heals up.
Tillamook Air Museum is in an old WWII Blimp hangar. I haven't been to the Pearson museum yet, so I'll let someone else comment. Don't forget they make "Aviation Gin" in downtown Portland. I think it's called Spirit House or something. Then there's always the Vans factory down in Wilsonville if you want to take the drive.

I'm going to piggyback your post a bit as well if you don't mind. I'd like to go fly a bit while I'm there. Is anyone around the area that wouldn't mind taking me for a tour? I'll take care of fuel and some food somewhere. :)

The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum at McMinnville (KMMV) -- home of the Spruce Goose -- is a can't miss. Also excellent is the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum at the Hood River Airport (4S2), off I-84 about 60 miles east of Portland.

The Pearson Air Museum at KVUO in Vancouver used to be good, but the National Park Service wrested control of it a couple of years ago and ruined it. If you like covered wagons and steamships and pictures of old airplanes it might be worth ten minutes, but if you like real airplanes that fly and the people who fly them, forget it. Instead, visit historic Pearson Field itself, one of the oldest still-operating (to the chagrin of the NPS) airfields in the country. On the field is the Pearson Field Education Center, an independent non-profit actively getting young people involved in flying.

If you're going to be in the Portland area, PM me and let's see if we can get together and exercise the 172.

The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum at McMinnville (KMMV) -- home of the Spruce Goose -- is a can't miss. Also excellent is the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum at the Hood River Airport (4S2), off I-84 about 60 miles east of Portland.

The Pearson Air Museum at KVUO in Vancouver used to be good, but the National Park Service wrested control of it a couple of years ago and ruined it. If you like covered wagons and steamships and pictures of old airplanes it might be worth ten minutes, but if you like real airplanes that fly and the people who fly them, forget it. Instead, visit historic Pearson Field itself, one of the oldest still-operating (to the chagrin of the NPS) airfields in the country. On the field is the Pearson Field Education Center, an independent non-profit actively getting young people involved in flying.

If you're going to be in the Portland area, PM me and let's see if we can get together and exercise the 172.

I'll definitely drive down to see the Spruce Goose, I've always wanted to see it. I'm looking at the end of August, probably the last week or so. I never turn down a chance to fly, so once I get my travel arrangements I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Back