[NA] To all who have served

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
Saturday I played paintball with my son at a woods feild. One of the scenarios was called the slaughterouse. My team got to defend a small 2 story fort with one rule- we weren't allowed to leave.

When the other team started to attack it got really chaotic. Paintballs flying everywhere, people yelling, the occasional "IM HIT". But it was only a game. When it was over we all walked away laughing and joking about what had just happened.

But on the way home I started thinking about the real thing. Bullets instead of paintballs - and not being able to leave. Men who have charged well defended postions against heavy machine guns and rifle fire and paid the ultimate price. Pilots who have gone into furballs and not come back. What were their last thoughts? I started to get choked up, I'll admit it.

So to those here who have served, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

And for those who have paid the ultimate price I stand the flag, hand over my heart and remember you.

Ron:
Thank you very much for remembering. I've called several former colleques today including one of my former commanders and thanked them. As for those that gave the ultimate; I salute you and will never forget those I served with.

Thanks again.

Dave

Because of them, we have and continue to have, the most to be thankful for of any people on earth.

Today over the phone I thanked my dad for his service in the Philippines during WWII. He didn't reply for quite a while and when he did he changed the subject. I think he was touched.

Thanks to everyone who served and to those who are serving.

This morning I was watching the news and they were doing a story on the "Honor Flights" I only caught the tail end, but it was about a group of pilots in,I think it Ohio, that are flying WWII vets to their memorial in Washington. They have about 1600 vets yet to fly and are looking for pilots and donations to finish. If I was closer I would volunteer my time, but I will send a donation instead. If any of you out east are interested, I am sure they would like to hear from you.

And to my fellow VN vets, Korean vets, and anybody alse who didn't get welcomed home:

Welcome home! And God bless those who couldn't come home.

Ron;

Thank you for remembering.
It helps so much. I always call or write my old VN buddy every day to see how he is doing. We are like two young pups full of energy and stories. Amazing after all these years. For the ones that that did not come home; I have no words that can express my feelings. . All I can say is thank you.

Thanks again

John J

Last edited:
I spent Sunday at a funeral for a WWII B24 gunner, Richard Dissell. The greatest generation by far

RotaryWingBob said:
And to my fellow VN vets, Korean vets, and anybody alse who didn't get welcomed home:

Welcome home! And God bless those who couldn't come home.

A short story about some of the Vets that don't like the memories.

Yesterday I was talking to Friend that lives about 3 miles from me (PA-23)

He bought an old Huey that he wants to restore, it is parked by his house on one of the major island roads. One morning he looks out his window and sees a guy setting on his lawn, he goes out to see what is goiing on, and finds the guy crying, looking at the Huey.

He asks the guy what was the matter, and got this reply.

"You SOB do you know what kind of memories this thing brings to me"?

And the guy walked away.

I know there are several veterans who visit this board. I've met some of you and conversed with many of you. I can not thank you enough for your service to our country. You are all great individuals.

Anthony said:
I know there are several veterans who visit this board. I've met some of you and conversed with many of you. I can not thank you enough for your service to our country. You are all great individuals.

Thank you very much, 22 years USN, 10 years DoD Civil servant, WG-10-5

Tom D. CPO ret.

Anthony said:

Hear, hear. Thanks to all men and women who gave their bodies, minds, and souls for the defense of our nation and the liberty we all enjoy today.

All gave some, some gave all.

A few years ago, a buddy and I did a Memorial flight for uncle Lester, an old Lightning pilot that had just passed on and over the weekend, we again tipped grateful wings, for him and all the many others deserving of our thanks, while we flew freely over Whidbey NAS.

Dave Krall CFII said:
while we flew freely over Whidbey NAS.

You should stop by some time. I'm in the Book, give me a call I'll pick you up.

NC19143 said:
You should stop by some time. I'm in the Book, give me a call I'll pick you up.

Thanks, we'll plan on it.

We're flying through there from time to time. Oak Harbor was sure a nice little strip when I saw it last.

NC19143 said:
A short story about some of the Vets that don't like the memories.

Yesterday I was talking to Friend that lives about 3 miles from me (PA-23)

He bought an old Huey that he wants to restore, it is parked by his house on one of the major island roads. One morning he looks out his window and sees a guy setting on his lawn, he goes out to see what is goiing on, and finds the guy crying, looking at the Huey.

He asks the guy what was the matter, and got this reply.

"You SOB do you know what kind of memories this thing brings to me"?

And the guy walked away.

I don't think I know anybody who was left wholly intact after VN. In my case, about 30 of us managed to find each other back about 8 years ago or so. About 15 of us got together in DC. It was very emotional, but soon guys were telling stories from when we were there (1969-70), and then realized that we were talking about things we had repressed for almost 30 years. In front of our wives, even.

Then we went together to the Wall, and looked up buddies, including Sgt. Dave Branson, who was killed the night I got wounded. We bawled like a bunch of little old ladies.

Tell you what, though, it really put VN to bed at last for most of us...

And my thanks go out to those who currently serve our country!

D Co, 5/7 Cav, 1st Cav Division (Airmobile)

Grunt, not a pilot.

Flyboy said:
Saturday I played paintball with my son at a woods feild. One of the scenarios was called the slaughterouse. My team got to defend a small 2 story fort with one rule- we weren't allowed to leave.

When the other team started to attack it got really chaotic. Paintballs flying everywhere, people yelling, the occasional "IM HIT". But it was only a game. When it was over we all walked away laughing and joking about what had just happened.

But on the way home I started thinking about the real thing. Bullets instead of paintballs - and not being able to leave. Men who have charged well defended postions against heavy machine guns and rifle fire and paid the ultimate price. Pilots who have gone into furballs and not come back. What were their last thoughts? I started to get choked up, I'll admit it.

So to those here who have served, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

And for those who have paid the ultimate price I stand the flag, hand over my heart and remember you.

It was an honor to serve. No thanks needed, but it is appreciated.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Thanks, we'll plan on it.

We're flying through there from time to time. Oak Harbor was sure a nice little strip when I saw it last.

We try, it's freshly mowed, and gas is 2.75 per gal. hangar rent is $175 per month. no approaches, no owner, still in legal battle, but we just keep it going on a self help program.

NC19143 said:
We try, it's freshly mowed, and gas is 2.75 per gal. hangar rent is $175 per month. no approaches, no owner, still in legal battle, but we just keep it going on a self help program.

I hope you get it done the way you want...

Do you mean no instrument "approaches" ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
I hope you get it done the way you want...

Do you mean no instrument "approaches" ?

Correct, no instrument approaches.

Back