[NA]Texas handgun law[NA]

For folks that plan on visiting Texas, if you do not have a handgun one will be loaned to you when you cross the state line. Just return it when you leave...
What kind?

For folks that plan on visiting Texas, if you do not have a handgun one will be loaned to you when you cross the state line. Just return it when you leave...

And a reminder about littering.

As a life-long Texan, I love the concealed carry license. I don't like or understand why you'd want to open carry. If you walk around with a gun on your hip, you'll likley be the first person shot in a robbery.

To each his own I guess! As Townes Van Zandt said in Pancho and Lefty, "He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to feel."

As a life-long Texan, I love the concealed carry license. I don't like or understand why you'd want to open carry. If you walk around with a gun on your hip, you'll likley be the first person shot in a robbery.

To each his own I guess! As Townes Van Zandt said in Pancho and Lefty, "He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to feel."
I tend to open carry. Have you seen the video of that Fort Worth Church of Christ shooting? One of the deceased spent precious seconds trying to get his concealed weapon out and got blasted by a shotgun. Most people really don’t notice the open carry, especially if you dress for it, and it’s only obvious from your holster side. Mind your OPSEC and surroundings and don’t make yourself obvious and it’s really no big deal.

I tend to open carry. Have you seen the video of that Fort Worth Church of Christ shooting? One of the deceased spent precious seconds trying to get his concealed weapon out and got blasted by a shotgun. Most people really don’t notice the open carry, especially if you dress for it, and it’s only obvious from your holster side. Mind your OPSEC and surroundings and don’t make yourself obvious and it’s really no big deal.
May as well just carry it in your hand at all times in Condition 0 if we're preparing for an extremely unlikely scenario like that. I'd rather not make myself a target and risk the few extra seconds to get it out from concealment.

May as well just carry it in your hand at all times in Condition 0 if we're preparing for an extremely unlikely scenario like that. I'd rather not make myself a target and risk the few extra seconds to get it out from concealment.
What more likely scenarios are you preparing for? I see plain clothes officers open carrying all the time, most people don't even notice..

What more likely scenarios are you preparing for? I see plain clothes officers open carrying all the time, most people don't even notice..
I'm not preparing for any likely scenarios, just saying if we're expecting a Fort Worth church shooter and getting your weapon out of concealment takes too much time, may as well just have it in-hand. As far as open carry: Everyone notices. I notice just about everyone with a gun strapped to their hip. I don't care that they do so, but I guarantee they don't go unnoticed.

How do you know most people don’t notice? I notice, but don’t say anything.

I should say most people over been with don't notice. Because I ask them.
You ask people if they can see your gun? Sounds like my ex girlfriend if I noticed her new shoes. Yes I noticed. I just don't care.

Dude, some people are scared of their own shadow. I carry in Oak Cliff down here and I've been doing it since the laws changed in Texas in 2016. The whole "make myself a target thing" is a joke to me. There are ways to open carry that aren't quite as obvious, and no, people really don't notice.

Dude, some people are scared of their own shadow. I carry in Oak Cliff down here and I've been doing it since the laws changed in Texas in 2016. The whole "make myself a target thing" is a joke to me. There are ways to open carry that aren't quite as obvious, and no, people really don't notice.

Not sure why it's a joke. I would imagine if someone had nefarious plans, the first people they would target would be those who pose the greatest threat. I'm not saying every single person notices every person who is open-carrying, but they are noticeable. If you are wearing it in ways that aren't quite as obvious, I would think that sounds more like concealing it. Again, I don't care if someone open carries or concealed carries. Do what you want to do, but pretending like no one really sees it when you open carry is almost absurd.

Not sure why it's a joke. I would imagine if someone had nefarious plans, the first people they would target would be those who pose the greatest threat. I'm not saying every single person notices every person who is open-carrying, but they are noticeable. If you are wearing it in ways that aren't quite as obvious, I would think that sounds more like concealing it. Again, I don't care if someone open carries or concealed carries. Do what you want to do, but pretending like no one really sees it when you open carry is almost absurd.
It's like gun free zones. Most of the criminals are actually going to target the undefended areas, rather than those that might put up a fight.

Seriously, if your gun isn't huuuge, sitting on your 3 o'clock, it's mostly not visible to anyone from about 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock, and if your colors are good, it doesn't jump out. I obviously try to keep from being surprised at my 6, but most people that "notice" are either not a threat, or you can tell they they are staring at you but not your face. If a criminal starts trying to draw from concealment on me, I've got a shot at a faster draw. If a criminal already has their weapon out, they are probably already in stress mode and not taking as good notes and the first thing I'm doing is taking cover and assessing the options.

I agree. It's mostly the people that always carry!!

You ask people if they can see your gun? Sounds like my ex girlfriend if I noticed her new shoes. Yes I noticed. I just don't care.
Context:

"I see plain clothes officers open carrying all the time, most people don't even notice."

on a whim, my wife purchased me a John Wayne style western holster. As North Carolina I am allowed to open carry. My often thought what the reaction would be if I if I walked around open carry my GP 100 357 in that John Wayne holster. Maybe a bandanna in one of those little leather vests. I have the physique for it.

on a whim, my wife purchased me a John Wayne style western holster. As North Carolina I am allowed to open carry. My often thought what the reaction would be if I if I walked around open carry my GP 100 357 in that John Wayne holster. Maybe a bandanna in one of those little leather vests. I have the physique for it.
Need to upgrade to a Peacemaker, lol.

We're in NC at the moment (Charlotte), and I'm very tempted to OC just to see what happens. But I really don't need any hassles that could keep me from getting back to Florida. If we were in some small rural area I might try it, but Charlotte just doesn't feel like the right venue.

Back