NA - Television and FM Radio tech help

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I have a "non-smart" 1080p flatscreen and I would like to access the internet for content. Not clear if I will cut the cable; we will probably go through a trial period before the cable cutting.

I'd also like to access FM Radio signals that are streamed on the internet. We've got relatively convenient access to the cable as well as a good wireless signal.

What do I need to do to get this done?

An HDMI cable between the TV and any internet capable computer. Of course, both need HDMI ports.

Do you use iTunes? I shut off my Dish and have no lack of entertainment options using Apple TV 2. I liked the original Apple TV but the version 2 is lightyears better. Listen to Pandora, I Heart Radio, Apple Radio, etc, plus tons of streaming TV apps. I'm happy.

Brings back memories from Holloman AFB back in '77-'78. We had cable TV on base and there was a little progressive rock radio station that broadcast on it. The station spun records in a small room above a record store in Alamogordo (I hung out there once). No recollection of the call sn.now. It was pretty cool way back then.

Yep, you can use a computer (which indeed we did for a long time). You can also get one of the "made for TV" interfaces such as an Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Chrome TV, ROKU box etc... I actually have Firesticks in both my TV. Some pretty neat Amazon content. The dramatization of Michael Connely's Harry Bosch detective isn't bad and my wife is getting into the show "Hung" (about a Detroit school teacher moonlighting as a male prostitute).

Yep, second the Roku stick thingy. Works very well, has music and all sorts of programming. Live streaming depends on whether or not your ISP supports the "channel". It'll ask you when you sign up. Most major isp's are supported.

I have the Apple TV. I can still get the Amazon content using AirPlay and any apple device (iPad, iPhone, iPod). If you mostly have Apple devices, Apple TV makes a lot of sense. You get the standard content (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, etc.), plus you can stream most things you can play on you iDevice using AirPlay.

It really depends what you want to watch/listen. If you want download(legal or illegal) and/or access various unrelated websites for content, then you probably need a computer. Just about anything with network card, HDMI(or 3-color component output), and a decently sized hard drive will work. Old laptop, cheap PC.. Perhaps wireless keyboard/mouse for control. It will probably be a most complicated option but also least restrictive.

For simple access, any set-box will be ok, based on largely the content they provide.

My set up is a simple DLNA media server at home and WD Live set box that allows watching any video(downloaded) on non-smart TV via HDMI. I download TV, Amazon, Netflix, and just about any other shows and watch them ad-free. Haven't cut the cord yet, but only because every time I call them, they manage to bring my DirecTV price to where I can live with it and live TV still has some use... For now.

Yep, second the Roku stick thingy. Works very well, has music and all sorts of programming. Live streaming depends on whether or not your ISP supports the "channel". It'll ask you when you sign up. Most major isp's are supported.

Sometimes. Other times, not so much. It depends a lot on the placement of the stick thingie with respect to the AP. This is from personal experience.

It's a wonderfully simple fix if it works, which it probably will if the USB port is facing the router, the signal is adequate, and there are no other sources of interference. But I'd make sure to buy it from a store with a no-hassle return policy just in case.

Rich

Sometimes. Other times, not so much. It depends a lot on the placement of the stick thingie with respect to the AP. This is from personal experience.

It's a wonderfully simple fix if it works, which it probably will if the USB port is facing the router, the signal is adequate, and there are no other sources of interference. But I'd make sure to buy it from a store with a no-hassle return policy just in case.

Rich

I think we're talking about two separate issues, Rich. When you go to sign up for, say, ESPN Now to live-stream a game, they ask you as part of the registration process to provide your ISP from a pop-up list. If your ISP isn't on the list, the service isn't available.
I've run into this, because I get my ISP from a local line-of-sight wan via microwave. The company is Freedom Broadband, and I there's lot of streaming services unavailble to me for that reason.

I think we're talking about two separate issues, Rich. When you go to sign up for, say, ESPN Now to live-stream a game, they ask you as part of the registration process to provide your ISP from a pop-up list. If your ISP isn't on the list, the service isn't available.
I've run into this, because I get my ISP from a local line-of-sight wan via microwave. The company is Freedom Broadband, and I there's lot of streaming services unavailble to me for that reason.

I get that, Chip. I'm just talking about the WiFi aspect, not the rest.

Rich

I cut the cord about a year ago (DirecTV, so more of a figurative cord). Unfortunately, it isn't your ISP they want, but rather your cable/television provider, so us cord cutters are out of luck. Netflix and Hulu has some stuff, but it is kind of hit or miss. You can buy content on iTunes (That is the only way I can figure out how to get Big Bang Theory). Amazon does have some good content, like Suits, that is available through my Prime membership. I am not a big sports fan, but when I had some guests over and they wanted to watch March Madness, it was a challenge (one of my guests used his login).

Can't you just move (or more likely just rotate) the thing with a cheap HDMI extension cable from monoprice, since the antenna is probably just printed on the circuit board for internal design cheapness?

Oh, my answers:

We've had Netflix for years. It's cheap and the only downside is their catalog constantly changes, due to contract battles and what-not. We've played it through everything from an old Nintendo Wii, to now direct from the app in the "smart" TV, and also on iPads and devices when watching something solo. It works well and their algorithm for streaming what your net connection can handle (a big deal in the boonies on microwave ISP or on a phone or iPad on cellular) is top notch, probably as good as YouTube's similar variable bitrate stuff.

AppleTV. Used to love it for "real HD" quality stuff. No compression. Lately it sits mostly unused. Usually their prices are higher than pretty much anyone else. It keeps getting tons of updates lately for apps, but Cook isn't the content negotiator Jobs was.

Amazon Prime Video: Limited catalog but some excellent stuff scattered in it. And lots of regular popular stuff where first season is free and you pay for second season, or wait, and it becomes free and third season isn't.

DirecTV: I don't know what the word is for cable "un-cutters" but that's us. Our HD reception out here is "fringey" and while I have plenty of RF knowledge to fix it, my desire to repair all of the coax that ran everywhere that someone cut up years ago, was low. DirectTV installer got to do all of that "fun" work. Haha. Plus we hadn't built a media PC setup like XMBC and our schedules were leaning toward DVR style watching. So we splurged. By the way, their DVR thing with the mini remote boxes is incredible. Love that thing. Do the cabled remotes, not the wireless. The whole house thing "just works".

OTA HD: Works the best if you have good signal or are willing to work on it. True HD for local sports if they're on, etc.

Roku: Great option. We don't have one but family does, and it's a great all around box. Does all sorts of stuff. In our house, the Samsung Smart TV replaced most of what ANY box does, so these are slowly becoming unnecessary.

Samsung TV: Has all the big name apps except Apple. Of course. Even has some weird ability to remotely control Directv receivers from across the house if Ethernet is used and not wifi. Haven't messed with it, since it's sitting next to the Directv box. Probably makes a nice clean install if your wiring is in-wall.

The Amazon Video stuff is more reasonable if you're already paying for AmazonPrime service.

'I think what you are aluding to is that a lot of the syndicated shows are pay-for-play for the CURRENT season while the former seasons are often available free. It's not the "first" season necessarily unless the current season is only the second.

Can't you just move (or more likely just rotate) the thing with a cheap HDMI extension cable from monoprice, since the antenna is probably just printed on the circuit board for internal design cheapness?

Yeah, you can do that, but it's kind of ghetto. If it doesn't get good reception at the USB or HDMI port, I'd rather spring for another $20.00 and get a box that can be placed in a better location without having to be taped or Velcroed to something.

Or you can do what I always wind up doing and just run Ethernet to the box. Then you don't have to worry about flaky WiFi signals anymore. That used to be a frequent source of easy money for me when I lived Downstate. It always amazed me how much money the rich folks in the Northern and Eastern suburbs of New York City were willing to pay someone to snake a wire.

Rich

I have a "non-smart" 1080p flatscreen and I would like to access the internet for content. Not clear if I will cut the cable; we will probably go through a trial period before the cable cutting.

I'd also like to access FM Radio signals that are streamed on the internet. We've got relatively convenient access to the cable as well as a good wireless signal.

What do I need to do to get this done?

You can pick up a smart dvd player they are fairly inexpensive

Back