[NA]telephone service option[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking for a term so I can ask ATT if they can provide it, but I don't know what word or phrase they might use.

We have a 'secondary' line at work which we use to call clients and to receive personal calls. Thanks to caller ID, and auto call-back we get all sorts of incoming calls on that line which really need to be handled by the receptionist.

Is there any way to block caller ID on that line, and to prevent someone calling us back when they missed our call?
If they system could just 'lie' and give out only the main number, all would be well.

I am looking for a term so I can ask ATT if they can provide it, but I don't know what word or phrase they might use.

We have a 'secondary' line at work which we use to call clients and to receive personal calls. Thanks to caller ID, and auto call-back we get all sorts of incoming calls on that line which really need to be handled by the receptionist.

Is there any way to block caller ID on that line, and to prevent someone calling us back when they missed our call?
If they system could just 'lie' and give out only the main number, all would be well.

Try *67 in front of the phone number calling. That should block it on a per call basis. There is a *8x code that can be used as a permanent , but then if the person has anonymous call rejection , you aren't getting through using either method. Check with you telco , what their options are.

They do also have the option to *spoof* the caller id to what ever number you want it to show, but if they will do it, is up to them.

If you don't mind a little work, you can do it yourself. I have several numbers coming into my VOIP server (running Asterisk, as most seem to be). I set up the outbound caller ID and can make it read whatever I want it to. It also costs a small fraction of what my wired land line does.

But yeah, just tell them you want the caller ID on the second line to match the first. I'm sure they have gotten similar requests before.

VOIP server

Teach me about voip.

What does it take to operate? Tell all: hardware, software, phone service/internet access, ongoing mx or tweaking.

I have 3 lines.

1 voice only, customer line with after-hours answering machine.
2 voice and dsl; private line
3 fax/credit card line used as a backup voice if the others are in use.
4 house line runs to business too as a 1/4mi extension

The first two feed a Norstar Meridian system with about 8 desktop phones.

Current ATT bills 200/mo biz, 100/mo house.

The problems with VoIP I see are two fold, reliability as you have the equipment you have for communication, for reliability you'll need at least a back up machine. Then there is reliability / quality of your ISP.
Half of the VoIP calls I make or receive are terrible sound quality and require re-establishing a call to get a usable signal through.
It is the future of communications though...

Last edited:
As pointed out you can always block outgoing production of the number in many cases.
Of course, if you call a toll free number, even *67 isn't going to block receipt of the number (there are a few ways around *67 in other ways as well).

The voip can take as little as a program loaded into your PC or smart phone. There are several "small office" phone companies (I use ring central) that will insert your published business number in all outgoing calls regardless of how you source them (you can use VOIP or you can just dial through their system).

Finally if you want to get real snarky, there are companies like SpoofCard that allow you to call their server and have the call placed with any ARBITRARY caller ID you want to insert.

Finally if you want to get real snarky, there are companies like SpoofCard that allow you to call their server and have the call placed with any ARBITRARY caller ID you want to insert.

Including 202-456-1414.

Including 202-456-1414.

Who would want to call that number? They are on vacation all the time anyway and don't really care what any of us think. Just ask that doctor over in Pakistan.

Just call the business office and tell them you want "Per Call Privacy" on your line. That should allow them to put an option on your line that always blocks your number on outgoing calls. If the Numbskull doesn't know that terminology, just tell them you want your outgoing number blocked on all calls. The problem is that if the person you are calling has Privacy Director on their line, it will block your incoming call...

If you have individual POTS lines, that will work. If you have a PBX or ISDN service, you probably have to call your service consutant to have it added...

Just call the business office and tell them you want "Per Call Privacy" on your line. That should allow them to put an option on your line that always blocks your number on outgoing calls. If the Numbskull doesn't know that terminology, just tell them you want your outgoing number blocked on all calls. The problem is that if the person you are calling has Privacy Director on their line, it will block your incoming call...

That's just it, he doesn't want privacy, he wants it to display the receptionist's primary line.

My personal solution would be to put both lines on the receptionists phone and have them answer all incoming calls by selecting one button or another, that's the way I'm used to seeing things handled.

That's just it, he doesn't want privacy, he wants it to display the receptionist's primary line.

My personal solution would be to put both lines on the receptionists phone and have them answer all incoming calls by selecting one button or another, that's the way I'm used to seeing things handled.

His orginal post was how to block the outgoing call on that line. If he has a pbx he can have all outgoing calls post the billing number, all he has to do is make sure that the receptionist's number is the billing number. Your solution would only allow one outgoing call at a time.

Teach me about voip.

What does it take to operate? Tell all: hardware, software, phone service/internet access, ongoing mx or tweaking.

I have 3 lines.

1 voice only, customer line with after-hours answering machine.
2 voice and dsl; private line
3 fax/credit card line used as a backup voice if the others are in use.
4 house line runs to business too as a 1/4mi extension

The first two feed a Norstar Meridian system with about 8 desktop phones.

Current ATT bills 200/mo biz, 100/mo house.
Wow.

OK, Asterisk system. You can buy a pre-packaged server with Asterisk Now! or Trixbox or something, or do it yourself with your own hardware and free software. Asterisk is free, and there is a web GUI or two although I haven't found any that are useful.

The learning curve takes a bit. There seems to be one book, and it's good for learning about how VOIP and Asterisk work but is way out of date for Asterisk itself. You can pay for training. You can also pay someone to set it all up the way you want it.

Ongoing maintenance... I almost never touch mine. Only to make changes. It runs on a server (under $200 worth of hardware) that does other things too, so I do OS updates and that's about it. Uptime is not as good as a wired POTS line, but it's above 99.9% now. I have not had an unscheduled outage in over half a year, since I fixed a persistent problem that was the result of one of my mistakes in a config file.

I also have a remote hosted virtual server at Linode. It's a web server for all my stuff, and also runs Asterisk. The two talk to each other, so if the one at my house croaks the remote one will get the incoming calls and pass them along. The only time I'm completely off line is if my home cable modem connection goes down (which is extremely rare any more). In that case the callers will get voicemail when the get connected to the remote server, and I get an email with the voice message attached as a WAV file. It's pretty slick.

Inbound FAX calls are automagically detected, FAX received, converted to PDF and emailed to me. I can send an outbound FAX via email from anywhere on my own network... I just send it to <phonenumber>@FAX. I run my own local mail server, which is what makes that part possible.

For phones, I'd say pick up some gently used Cisco IP phones on eBay. I use 7960s at home, but 7940s would have been enough. If you want cordless, there are a couple of options (none perfect). There are tons of very nice IP phones out there. Many of them have extra ports so you can use a single Ethernet connection for the phone and a computer. If you want to connect analog phones, FAX machines, etc you can get a clone TDM400 card pretty cheaply. It will also let you connect any POTS lines you have to the system, so you can keep your existing lines until you're ready to get rid of them.

As for features... try and find something Asterisk WON'T do. Call park and pickup, conference bridge, voicemail, FAX, automated attendant, call screening, ring groups of phones, ring one phone if another doesn't answer, call forward, the list goes on and on and on. Heck, I recently started using IMAP voicemail storage... that means when a voicemail is received, the message is stored in a mail folder. If I listen to or delete the message from my email program, the message indicator on the phone goes out. Slick.

My VOIP lines are DIRT cheap. Flowroute.com. Even a toll free number is ridiculously cheap. I have one POTS line left, our home number. I'll probably port that number to Flowroute later this year and get rid of the wire line, which should save me about another $30 a month or so.

Now, the gotchas. First -- you'll need to learn a lot if you plan to set it all up yourself. If you like to tinker, you'll LOVE Asterisk and VOIP. If you don't, well, you'll either hire someone to do it or you'll probably hate it. Mitigating this gotcha is the fact that you can do your learning on cheap hardware without breaking anything, and start rolling it out once yo know what you're doing. The initial investment CAN be pretty low.

Second... Internet access. Your phone service will only be as reliable as your Internet connection. Each VOIP call needs about 128K of bandwidth. You'll probably want to upgrade your cable modem service to the fastest you can get. If you're on DSL... good luck.

His orginal post was how to block the outgoing call on that line. If he has a pbx he can have all outgoing calls post the billing number, all he has to do is make sure that the receptionist's number is the billing number. Your solution would only allow one outgoing call at a time.

IIRC, in the OP what he wanted was that all incoming calls get routed through the receptionist which is not happening on that line.

IIRC, in the OP what he wanted was that all incoming calls get routed through the receptionist which is not happening on that line.

That's because the number they are calling from is being revealed on the caller ID and the person is calling back on that number instead of the receptionist's (main) number...

I was trying to help the OP, not argue with you... :mad2:

If you dont want to dink around with your own VoIP server, there are plenty of companies that will run it for you. The only hardware you have at your end are a couple of cheap VoIP phones and terminal adaptors (for fax machines or if you want to use a particular phone end-unit).

I use a company called Nuvio. They have a a web interface to configure the auto-attendant, tell it which callerID to assign to which line, forwarding rules etc. It is a smaller company and their customer service has been outstanding. The only problem I have encountered is that the fax machine doesn't tolerate changes in voice quality and throws 'comm errors'.

The only problem is if you have situation where the phonelines are up but your internet service is down. I had this last year after a hurricane for a couple of days. If cell service is up, you can reconfigure a cellphone as an extension to the phone system. My failover backup internet connection for the office is a 3G card, it just doesn't have enough bandwith to provide reliable VoIP service. A redundant internet connection (cable+FIOS, cable+T1) would be preferable if phone is truly a business-critical tool.

Last edited:
Dave does not want a TrixBox. Trust me.

A SIP trunk, VoIP, would give you control of the caller ID. For only 3 lines, Asterisk might add too much complexity. I would look at a hosted solution.

If you dont want to dink around with your own VoIP server, there are plenty of companies that will run it for you. The only hardware you have at your end are a couple of cheap VoIP phones and terminal adaptors (for fax machines or if you want to use a particular phone end-unit).
That's a good point. It's a lot less expensive to do it yourself, but a service like that would be a lot less expensive than what you're paying now.

That's because the number they are calling from is being revealed on the caller ID and the person is calling back on that number instead of the receptionist's (main) number...

I was trying to help the OP, not argue with you... :mad2:

I wasn't looking to argue either, it's just that blocking the outgoing number IMO is not an optimal solution for a business considering the large quantity of people who won't answer a blocked number call as well as not leaving your return number on their phone for them to be able to get back. In those regards the business is better effected by not blocking and using a more customer friendly strategy. If his business is not one in which he has to worry about annoying his customers or having them answer his calls or call back, then it won't make a difference.

Last edited:
IMHO the Asterisk stuff is serious overkill for two lines. If you had four or five maybe.

Easiest solution: Ask the carrier to put the mainline CID on the secondary on outbound calls.

You didn't mention how the inbound calls work so I'm not clear on how calls get to the secondary line. I'm assuming they don't. You can get them to build a "hunt group" for that if you'd like incoming calls to roll to whichever line is available.

Problem is that they might balk at this at the two line level or make you change to what used to be called Centrex service class which is nothing more than them setting up a virtual PBX at the carrier switch for your lines. It'd grow to a lot of lines but gets expensive then.

I also am assuming just simple two-line phones on all desks. If you have a PBX already and multi-line phones it's basically the same at two lines but you can do tricks like send incoming calls to the secondary line with that line being the "lead" line on a hunt-group and the current main line being the one chosen by default for outgoing calls.

If you're planning on going to three lines or above the Asterisk PBX solutions might start to make sense, but you're inheriting problems of supporting it 24/7 if it has failures.

P.S. Another solution if you're okay with missing incoming calls if the main line is busy... Activate call forwarding on the secondary line back to the main line. This lowers incoming call flexibility though. If the main line is busy, calls will go to busy or voice mail if that line has it. You'd have to check the VM multiple times throughout the business day. I've seen that done with the company also having a VM-to-email solution to the receptionist so she gets an e-mail with the VM attached immediately and most receptionists leave their e-mail open all day so they won't miss a message sitting in the VM inbox.

Back