[NA]Tax Tables[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I love the way you guys put up with my endless nonAv questions! (so far)

I have an excel spreadsheet for figuring my payroll. I had been manually entering the FIT from their chart and noticed you can use a percentage method.

Except the formula is: "Deduct 20.4% if the wage is $155 or less, deduct 32$ if the wage is $156-323, and deduct ($32-9.588%) if the wage is $324 or more.

What do I type into the Excel cell to indicate that?!

(not to mention where the ^$# did they come up with that?? 9.588%, sheesh!

PS the broiler on the 5y old electronic oven is out, and the 3yo dvd player quit, send your fixes. I am going to change my handle to "BrokeStuff"

Let'sgoflying! said:
PS the broiler on the 5y old electronic oven is out,
Electronic or electric? If the latter: pull the power cord out, then stick your head in the oven and remove the electric broiler element. Screwdrivers and pliers probably required. Put a VOM (an ohm-meter) or a test lamp across the two terminals of the broiler element. If the circuit is open (infinite resistance or no light) trundle down to your appliance repair store and buy a new element. Put it back in the reverse of how you took it out. Voila!
and the 3yo dvd player quit, send your fixes.
Go wave your credit card down at *insert local store name here* discount electronics. In my experience these are cheaper to buy than to fix, unless under warrantee.

-Skip

Let'sgoflying! said:
Except the formula is: "Deduct 20.4% if the wage is $155 or less, deduct 32$ if the wage is $156-323, and deduct ($32-9.588%) if the wage is $324 or more.

What do I type into the Excel cell to indicate that?!
Lets say cell B5 is the wage.
For B6
IF(B5<= 155, (b5 * .204), IF(AND(B5>155, B5<=323), 32, IF(B5>323, 32-(b5*0.09588)))

the if function is set up like: IF(condition, true case, false case)
so I've said
if b5 < 155 then multiply b5 by 20.4%
else if b5 between 155 and 323 then 32
else if b5 > 323 then 32-(b5* 9.588%)

I'm probably missing a ) in there...

Yes, it should end with: *0.09588))))

Good luck

Let'sgoflying! said:
PS the broiler on the 5y old electronic oven is out, and the 3yo dvd player quit, send your fixes. I am going to change my handle to "BrokeStuff"

I think I'm starting to see your problem. You got all this new stuff everyone is selling nowadays. You need a bunch of old stuff that simply doesn't fail because it's not smart enough to crap out. :D
It's kind of fun diagnosing your problems though... :yes:

Rats
no go. See attached excel file.
I made it four brackets as suggested.

Skip Miller said:
stick your head in the oven

The oven is a whirlpool electronic about 7yrs old. MN RF376PXEW0
No power to the broiler element. All other parts of the stove and oven work fine.
I tested the element by powering it up and it gets hot.

I figure it is either the controller or a relay, wish I knew how to dx it.
Controller is $160.

Whirlpool pretty much stonewalls do it yourself people. No online parts manual, exploded diagrams. Just our service rep will come out for $100 plus parts.... gee after parts, that will come to about the price of a new stove!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think you can attach excel files - but if you zip it, you should be able to attach.

I played with it and think I have it!
I am very close anyway.

One note... I had listed the formula for the EIC credit %, not the FIT withholding, so ignore those numbers.
Also... it is difficult to interpret exactly what they are saying in words... to convert it to a formula is a bit mind boggling!

=SUM(IF(B9<154,0,IF(AND(B9>=154,B9<=440),((B9-154)*0.1),IF(B9>440,28.6+(B9-440)*0.15))))
is the formula for married, weekly, zero allowances.

Never did figure out what the AND means.
Or why some conditions are enclosed in brackets and some not.

The AND function tests the validity of two or more conditionals and returns an overall result:
AND(B9 >=154, B9<=440) means:
B9 is greater than or equal to 154 AND less than or equal to 440

so the second if reads as:
IF B9 BETWEEN(inclusive) 154 and 440, then (B9-154) * .1, else... (third IF)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Whirlpool pretty much stonewalls do it yourself people. No online parts manual, exploded diagrams. Just our service rep will come out for $100 plus parts.... gee after parts, that will come to about the price of a new stove!

Thanks!

On the other hand, our washing machine (Whirlpool) recently quit performing the spin cycle. I don't have time to mess with it. The motor runs, but the backet didn't rotate. Got on Whirlpool's web site, made an on-line appointment for a local company to come fix it and less than $100 later it was fixed. The guy even showed up during the promised time period. Next day. I'm happy with them.

Oh, and price a new stove. You won't get anything decent for $100 plus parts. :D

Yay, I think I have the tax table formulae worked out!

Now if I could just apply the operation, "Round all results up or down to nearest dollar" it would seem polished. See what you think.

I have zipped the xls file and if you want to proof it, the IRS tax guide as a pdf.

Attachments

• ExcelTaxFormulas2006.zip
    336.2 KB · Views: 8
The ROUND function will do what you need. Just put ROUND(...) around your existing functions:
=ROUND(SUM(.........))

Thank you Chuck!
(It needed what you said plus a "," before the last bracket and) it worked like a charm! I played with it for a long time (excel help was incomprehensible to me) before asking, appreciate your help.
I have all the tables ready in time for paychecks Monday, I should sell these formulae! (honestly I can't believe they are not readily available, I'm sure these calculations are done 100million times a month)

Ah, Dave, another small business owner who is sick and tired of Quickbooks' confiscatory "if you don't buy the software upgrade, payroll won;t work anymore" policy.

Right?

Spike,
I have changed 'why' I hate QBs.
I now hate them because:
a) they never voluntarily reveal that it is NOT a one-time program purchase. I don't deny them the right to earn continued income - it is the underhanded nature of how they do it.
b) continually I read on the QBs forums of users who are discovering that with the newer programs, features that are available at purchase 'time-out' and will no longer work if they do not purchase 'updates' AND that a lot of the newest programs and updates are really beta versions they are using the paying user to test. And a lot of the early updates were corrections to weaknesses in the early releases.
Frankly I am afraid of the newer releases because of what they may contain or restrict after the first year, I would buy a 2001 version off ebay if I could.
But don't forget the sometimes impossibly-difficult registrations (or it locks up after x uses!)

Its sad, because the program is very useful and powerful -it could have taken the market easily.

No offense to happy QB users and those who might work for them... this is just one user's opinion.

Last edited:
ps I now have a wonderful excel file anyone is free to use: it does the employees/employer's share calculations for all taxes (in Texas and federal taxes) totals for gross and net pay for 10 employees, totals over the year using weekly (single or married) with 0-4 allowances.

Dave, you coulda boiled water on my head after the fiestacade I had trying to get QB support to admit that THEY had a problem, when the tax tables would not down load. They kept tellng me I had to call in to the pay-per-problem line, and I kept reminding them I ad already paid for the downloads, and their software would not work. Complete and utter butt munchers, they are.

I have client who sues their construction management software, same tactics.

Just because you *can* do something, doesn't mean you should.

Spike,

That kind of stuff is becoming common through the software and internet services industry. Take a look sometime at the complaints about Ebay and Paypal - who you apparently can't call on the phone, even if they've frozen hundreds of dollars in your account. Lots of others like it.

Small business relies on business software. QB/Quicken epitomizes the bad practices of the industry. I had a run-in with them 8 years ago with an early version of QuickBooks over registration and their use of registration as a vehicle to send incessant promotional messages. I went to other methods of achieving results, and they never got a second look.

wsuffa said:
Spike,

That kind of stuff is becoming common through the software and internet services industry. Take a look sometime at the complaints about Ebay and Paypal - who you apparently can't call on the phone, even if they've frozen hundreds of dollars in your account. Lots of others like it.

Small business relies on business software. QB/Quicken epitomizes the bad practices of the industry. I had a run-in with them 8 years ago with an early version of QuickBooks over registration and their use of registration as a vehicle to send incessant promotional messages. I went to other methods of achieving results, and they never got a second look.

Bill:

This is why I have never become a "certified" PayPal user; have used up my lifetime "uncertified" privileges, and have bever been able to determine why they have to have a bank account associated to continue to accept credit card payments. In any event, I am going to set up a free checking account solely for the purpose of getting "verified," and then close the sucker. They cannot freeze an account which is closed!

As for QB, we continue to use it because our CPA prefers it thus, an dthe changeover would be disruptive, but next time they try to shake us down for an upgrade to continue to use the basic features ofthe software, I am outtahere.

Grrr!

Back