[NA] SVN with issue tracking?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm currently running UberSVN for a project and I would like to be able to integrate some sort of bug tracker so I can give my 'super users' access to the bug tracker so they can log issues/improvement requests without me getting slammed with a bunch of emails that I need to keep track of.

Unfortunately, UberSVN doesn't have any sort of built-in bug tracker. Can someone recommend a SVN+bug/issue/improvement tracker combination? The bug/issue/improvement tracker needs to have a user-friendly interface.

It will need to be installed on my Win2008 server on the intranet.

Any suggestions?

Trac integrates with SVN, it's what we use. It uses a wiki type of markup languange that you can use in the tickets to reference the revision number and see the changes made for that ticket. I'm not a huge fan of Trac but it works. http://trac.edgewall.org/ It's written in Python and setting it up can be a little cumbersome.

If its open source, there's a few options. Unfortunately, I don't know of many closed source options. You have seen that I use Unfuddle quite a bit, and they do have a bug tracking system. Some people have written some custom interfaces to allow users other than the developers to enter tickets against it.

Might be an idea.

+1 for Jira. tho what is important here is what development tool are you using? A lot of the dev tools have integration with issue trackers, and most all of them integrate with Jira.

For example, Eclipse has some interesting options as well that are unrelated.

I'm using Netbeans 7 for my IDE. This is a PHP project (if that matters at all).

Open source is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jesse. Redmine looks like what we're looking for. Still checking to see if it integrates with SVN to get an all-in-one stop for tieing commits to support tickets. EDIT: Looks like it does!

Last edited:
Another vote for Jira. Have used it at two companies. Requires some customization like any good system to your business rules and environment. Best to do that ahead of time, not after it's deployed.

Jira works well for Development teams. It's an awful general IT ticketing system. Ask me how I know. :) Atlassian has a better product for that. It even integrates to Jira.

One thing to watch out for with Jira... it allows attachments to tickets which is a wondeful thing for screen-shots of problems in the modern visual software world, etc... but the admin will be seriously ticked at how much disk space it chews up. Again... ask me how I know... :)

I was finally able to get Redmine up and running and integrated with VisualSVN. It is indeed pretty slick. Smooth issue-tracking front-end and a strong Administration/configurable back-end. I also like how it integrates with SVN commit comments for auto-updating Redmine issues.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can always count on PoA for all sorts of advice.

Back