[NA]simple definitions for puter users[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
modem = box that connects phone line to computer (or router)

router = box that transmits radio signals to connect computers or their devices, or to connect modem to computer.

what do you call a box that connects computer to internet, wirelessly?

Modem = MOdulate / DEModulate - to convert analog signals to digital and back for communication over phone line;

Router- "Routes" IP (Internet Protocol) traffic between the big, bad outside world and your computer, inside your network- tells stuff coming in which computer inside your network is getting that particular batch of data. It does this both wired (plugged into the back of the router) and wireless (assuming router has wireless function built-in- not all do).

The box that connects the computer to the Internet wirelessly? Well, you're combining several devices in that description - the computer connects to your local network wirelessly through a wireless access point or a wireless router; then the internet connection, in turn, occurs through the DSL modem. In your instance, I know you have a 2Wire box which has, built into it, all three functions (DSL Modem, Router and Wireless Access Point).

'Zat help?

The box that connects the computer to the Internet wirelessly? Well, you're combining several devices in that description - the computer connects to your local network wirelessly through a wireless access point or a wireless router; then the internet connection, in turn, occurs through the DSL modem. In your instance, I know you have a 2Wire box which has, built into it, all three functions (DSL Modem, Router and Wireless Access Point).

'Zat help?

Yes! Is there an accepted name for such a device?
Ie go to Rdo Shack, I want a "____" or do I have to say...all that stuff?

Short answer: yes.

Your DSL modem probably has an RJ-45 Ethernet connection on it to allow you to connect a cable from the modem to either a NIC card in your computer, or a router to share that connection.

If you ask for a wireless router, and tell them you want to connect it to your DSL modem to share the internet via WiFi in the home, you'll get what you need.

Back