[NA]silly extension cord help[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
OK I have googled this to death with no joy so I throw it out there:
I need 130' of ordinary, unspliced, 3-conductor extension cable such as you might see used to run a power tool, 12 gauge stranded wire, 2wg is fine, no terminals required. The device draws 8A max, over the 130'.
All the big box stores have 100' max. Grainger didn't have it.

I need 130' of ordinary, unspliced, 3-conductor extension cable such as you might see used to run a power tool, 12 gauge stranded wire, 2wg is fine, no terminals required. The device draws 8A max, over the 130'.

:confused: Shouldn't be a problem....

Buy 130' (go big and get 150') of suitable cable and two terminals: one receptacle and one plug.

Some minor installation required.

Done.

-Skip

For that length it's no longer an extension cord. Either you pay big bucks to get 12 AWG Type SO (by the foot)or you admit defeat and save big bucks and get yourself some UV Romex.

Oh yeah, be sure to run it in conduit to keeps the critters from gnawing on it.

Shouldn't be a problem....

Buy 130' (go big and get 150') of suitable cable and two terminals: one receptacle and one plug.

OK, where?
You missed the part about no terminals needed. I am not making an extension cord, I need extension cord-like material for this project.

For that length it's no longer an extension cord. Either you pay big bucks to get 12 AWG Type SO (by the foot)or you admit defeat and save big bucks and get yourself some UV Romex.

nopenopenope.
It has to be outdoor-rated flexible cable. Not romex, it won't be run in a conduit. Its not an extension cord for power tools, that just describes the bulk material I am trying to find.

Then call some of the larger construction companies to find out where they have their cords built. I mean the very large companies who produce turnkey neighborhoods from all sitework to completion. Or call an electrical supply house. I'm talking custom build.

I reckon the prices you are quoted will knock you socks off.

200' cords are available but again you'll be paying through the nose. CED is who I've used. http://www.cednw.com/

Or call a public utility to see if they have any surplus cord.

You might want to check with someone who knows a lot of electricians. Maybe someone who works with, say, electrical contractors.

You might want to check with someone who knows a lot of electricians. Maybe someone who works with, say, electrical contractors.
While that is a great lead my experience has been for the length Dave requires, they'll have plenty of 10/2 or 0 wire. Then the question becomes, Why buy what you don't want and pay big for the honor just so you can have the length?

Isn't there a Graybar in just about every inhabited place on the planet? ;)

Google (shopping) "Electrical Wire 12/3". I came up with a 250' spool of Woods Round Vinyl Service Cord.

Searching for products can be a pain if you don't know the exact terminology. I always have trouble using the Yellow Pages.

Dave

Do not use ROMEX please. NM cable is not cordage. It's not designed to be used as such.

Cancel request, Spike has located something useful and I will check out Dave's suggestion as well - thanks to everyone for responding and helping.

Back