[NA]Roof plans[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there a website a person could use to design a roof?
Mainly; the specs on trusses (lumber dimensions an outline and spacing of rafters), given the span and desired pitch.

What's the span and pitch Dave?

Also going to depend on the area. Up here we have to worry about snow loads...

Also going to depend on the area. Up here we have to worry about snow loads...

And in FL and some other areas, it's about wind resistance.

Dave, are there local codes where you are, or is it just covered by blanket Texas/National codes?

I found a number of sites online thru google search for roof truss calculator (or something like that) when I built my shed this spring. I'll see if I saved any links, but you should be able to google up a couple that will work.

Is there a website a person could use to design a roof?
Mainly; the specs on trusses (lumber dimensions an outline and spacing of rafters), given the span and desired pitch.

Don't know but I'd bet that Home Depot has a program they can run for this at the contractor's desk.

Thanks
Span 30'
Pitch planned (without ref to code etc) is thought to be "about" 1:2 to 1:4
Snow loads rare here :)
Annually, we expect winds in excess of 80mph.
The project will be in an area without inspector or enforcement of code....but it will be built to code and that would be hmmm...Spike: National or State UBC?

Do you want to buy and swing trusses, or do you want to cut rafters (don't say you want to build trusses)?

By 1:2 and 1:4 are you saying you are looking for a 6:12 or a 3:12 pitch? Big difference between those.

Can you post a sketch?

Do you want to buy and swing trusses, or do you want to cut rafters (don't say you want to build trusses)?
Build; rafters. Have done trusses in past, worked pretty good, but this is a friend who wants rafters.

By 1:2 and 1:4 are you saying you are looking for a 6:12 or a 3:12 pitch?
Yes!

Can you post a sketch?
Aha, that is what I am looking for!

Another desired feature would be some storage space on the joists.

Back