NA Remote access to a server

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Are the possible ways to access* a server remotely innumerable?
*Ie laptop in Timbuktu --> internet --> server at home

And, is Remote Desktop a native program to Windows Server 2012R2?
Is the use of it included in the purchase of WS2012?
Maybe it is included, but you have to buy user licenses?

I am seeing software which allows you to access a server "Integrated Lights Out", makes me think there are probably many such programs?

Thanks for education.

I have seen many permutations of remote server access, maybe not innumerable, but the number sure ain't small.

Yes, there are a variety of things depending on the server - anything from SSH to RDP. But.... A very strong recommendation that you put it behind a firewall with a VPN endpoint and use a VPN to access.

So, I do not need to buy a program called ILO when RDP is right there already paid for.
Maybe we'll talk the specifics of how that is done later, Bill?
Thanks.

So, I do not need to buy a program called ILO when RDP is right there already paid for.
Thanks.
HP server? iLO is HP's lights out, out of band management of the hardware. When all hell breaks loose or you're doing initial manual provisioning, you use ilo. Ilo would give you remote console, but it's not what you would want to use for every day administration. RDP (included with Windows for administration) is the right tool. RDP for terminal services does require additional licensing, however.

HP server? iLO is HP's lights out, out of band management of the hardware. When all hell breaks loose or you're doing initial manual provisioning, you use ilo. Ilo would give you remote console, but it's not what you would want to use for every day administration. RDP (included with Windows for administration) is the right tool. RDP for terminal services does require additional licensing, however.

Only "Advanced" iLO gives you a remote console these days. HP did the usual HP thing and started charging extra for anything useful.

Too bad for them, it's not that useful. So most folks don't buy it. iLO got downgraded to being the free remote power switch.

RDP works fine once you build a proper way to network to the machine from afar (VPN).

Only "Advanced" iLO gives you a remote console these days. HP did the usual HP thing and started charging extra for anything useful.

Too bad for them, it's not that useful. So most folks don't buy it. iLO got downgraded to being the free remote power switch.

RDP works fine once you build a proper way to network to the machine from afar (VPN).
Really? I thought all you lost in 4 was federation and remote media. Oh well, I have advanced for everything... I don't like having to go to the datacenter for any reason.

I am going to ask the salesperson to drop ILO from my quote; I don't need it.
I can turn it on and off with instruction, if it gets beyond a tech provider to talk me through what is needed to reestablish a remote connection I will overnight it to them.

Thanks.

No need for ILO for remote.

VPN is pretty straightforward with a good VPN endpoint firewall, like the Sonicwall TZ series (other brands work well too).

Is VPN software or hardware? If software, is it included in WinServ2012 or a separate purchase? Doesn't sound end user installable.
The firewall is both software and hardware I think. I see them from $40 to 500.
Is that user installable?

iLO is useful for remote administration, especially when there is no one on site to physically power off and on the server. It is a separate "out of band" interface that lets you manage the server remotely, even if it is hard locked or blue screened.

Terminal Services is built into Windows, but needs to be enabled. RDP is for remote access to the Windows operating system only and doesn't help if the server is in a down state. You are allowed up to two concurrent RDP sessions on a server unlicensed for Terminal Services. This is intended for remote administration of the server. You can purchase additional Terminal Server CALs and install a Terminal Server Licensing server (a service that runs on the server). It is not recommended to run desktop applications directly from the server that isn't dedicated for this purpose. Desktop applications can use a lot of server resources and cause server instability. It would be much better to remote into a separate server or desktop. As Denver mentioned, you would want to secure the connection with a VPN tunnel.

Is VPN software or hardware? If software, is it included in WinServ2012 or a separate purchase? Doesn't sound end user installable.

The VPN would typically terminate to your firewall, not your server, as you would need to directly expose your server to the Internet for it to terminate the VPN. Most firewalls, even low end, have VPN capability. The easier to use VPN solutions (such as SSL) will cost a little more.

In this case, the RDP sessions will (mostly) originate from inside the local network, not from outside.

Hosting his internal desktop sessions on the server really requires a server dedicated to this and the applications need to be vetted to run in a multi-user environment. Depending on the edition of Windows Server 2012 R2, it might be possible to virtualize two server instances on the same hardware, using that license. Standard Edition includes a license for two virtual instances with the underlying host instance. Essentials Edition does not. How many processor cores and how much RAM is on the server?

The goal is to keep the VPN separate from your server for security.

It can be done in software only, but the better way to do it is to use an endpoint/firewall on your server end. Software is needed on your remote computer. SSL VPN and IPSec offer better security than PPTP that MS has built in.

I have used three different types of firewall... Netgear's IPSec, OpenVPN on DD-WRT and on Untangle, and both Cisco and Sonicwall's implementation of SSL and IPSec VPNs. Sonicwall's SSL was probably one of the easier ones to set up.

Figure on 200-300 for a decent firewall with VPN. Some low end units come with VPN capability, but long-term support tends to be lacking...

Is this something for business or personal? Spinning the whole thing up on a cloud provider is likely a whole lot cheaper than buying hardware these days, but it depends on specific needs. Amazon, Digital Ocean, etc etc etc.

VPN to the firewall. The VPN makes your remote machine appear to be within the network. Then use RDP to work on the server. While desktop sessions do eat performance, unless you need 20 of them at a time, the kind of server you had spec'd before should be able to support your needs without having to set up a dedicated terminal server. The only other application you needed iirc was quickbooks and printing services.

Win offers RDP as standard on Win7 or Win8 professional. It only supports one session at a time, so this will only work if nobody elses needs access to the machine at the same time (e.g. after-hours or a PC in a private office). It requires that PC to remain on all the time, you can shut down the disk and display.

Oh this is still the west Texas guy with limited bandwidth? Sorry I figured that was all done by now and thought this was someone new. Disregard comments on cloud idea.

I didn't see answers to these; anyone know? Thanks.

I didn't see answers to these; anyone know? Thanks.

I believe that the answer to these questions was provided in post #5.

Honestly, you probably should have put your applications on a cloud provider, because your TCO here is going to be much higher. However, since you've already committed to this path, you may also want to look at solutions such as LogMeIn, Splashtop, or GoToMyPC, which provide secure and proprietary methods to connect to your systems. However, for more than a basic desktop connection (and the best security), VPN is probably optimal.

JKG

I believe that the answer to these questions was provided in post #5.

Ah, so when mkosmo says "included with Windows for administration" that means Remote Desktop is included as a native program at no extra cost with Windows Server 2012R2? Sorry to be daft but with this topic, I need everything spelled out.

And he also says "RDP for terminal services does require additional licensing"
which I take to mean I will have to buy a user license to use RDP.

Thanks!

Thanks JKG!
I had seen that but did not understand it!
So if I want to do work on my documents etc, I need an RDS CAL
but for a tech person (even me) to upgrade the server or manipulate the setup, no cal.

Thanks JKG!
I had seen that but did not understand it!
So if I want to do work on my documents etc, I need an RDS CAL
but for a tech person (even me) to upgrade the server or manipulate the setup, no cal.
Correct.

I have not encountered any limitations of what I can do with the RDP that comes with server 2012. Yes, it's intended for administration, but it is not limited to admin tasks.

Back