[NA]Reducing charger output [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
New garden tractor battery, insert suggests ideal charging amperage at 0.5 . It does say 2A is acceptable but optimal is 500mA. My charger does 2A of course.

Any easy way to reduce the charger output to attain the ideal charging rate?

ie I am capable of wiring a small lamp in series, but don't suggest soldering up a circuitboard! And I'm not going to crack the charger open.

12V 14Ah battery

New garden tractor battery, insert suggests ideal charging amperage at 0.5 . It does say 2A is acceptable but optimal is 500mA. My charger does 2A of course.

ie I am capable of wiring a small lamp in series, but don't suggest soldering up a circuitboard! And I'm not going to crack the charger open.

12V 14Ah battery

Your charger should do a float charge so it reduces the charging current automagically.

If not get a small Battery MINDer.

Dave, for most chargers, the answer is no.

12V 14Ah battery

If you can wire an incandescent lamp in series with the charger and battery it will reduce the current but you'd have to experiment to find the right bulb.

But I really doubt that your charger will damage the battery without limiting the current as long as you don't leave it on more than a day. Most inexpensive chargers actually deliver a lot less than their "rated" current to a good battery.

Back