[NA]Quicklaunch bar, who controls?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I can't remove some things from it and I want to add Wireless connections to it but cannot. Is this a user controlled display or does MS retain all rights?
Googled it to death; no joy.

I can't remove some things from it and I want to add Wireless connections to it but cannot. Is this a user controlled display or does MS retain all rights?
Googled it to death; no joy.

The quick launch bar you can just drag things on and off of (or bring it up int he explore by right clicking).

The system tray, you have to go to greater extent to change.

Its the line along the very bottom. Drag a file or a shortcut of it ie Wireless Connections and get the Do Not Enter symbol popping up.
None of the ones in there have a right-click-delete option.

when I click Printscreen, it takes a screenshot minus the "do not enter sign" thingy on the qlb. I will have to take a photo later.

Just trying to figure out what part of the screen you're talking about and what you're trying to drop there. At this point we don't even know which Windows OS you're fighting with either. :)

He's in the system tray. you have to figure out what piece of software is running in there t hen figure out how to turn it off. Typically defined by whoever wrote the software that is running in there. (i.e. its a program that actually running and hiding out there as opposed to a shortcut that is on the quick launch bar) Some are as simple as right clicking and selecting "Disable System Tray Icon" some aren't. Whaddaya want to get rid of? Some are also intermittently "in there" i.e. only show up if you have a USB device plugged in.

took a pic with the ipad.
I have grabbed the Wireless Network icon and dragged it over the bar (tool or quicklaunch, whatever it is.) and anywhere in there - left or right - you can see the circle with the line through it.

Attachments

• toolbar.JPG
    toolbar.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 17
Are you attempting to put the Windows Wireless tool on the Taskbar where you can get to it easily?

That screenshot looks like Windows XP so we can go from there...

This may seem a bit basic. Bear with me, let's get terminology fixed first.

The "toolbar" is the entire bar from left side Start menu to the far right.

Whenever you launch an Application a fat bar shows up in the left or center-left of the toolbar, and there's one for each running item that you can use to switch back and forth between running programs.

The place on the right side where all those icons showing the status of some running things is called the System Tray. You can't drag and drop things into the System Tray.

That's where the icon with the black circle/cross is in your photo. Are you trying to drag an Application there? It won't work.

If there is a feature enabled, things in the "system tray" can seem to come and go. There is a setting for "hide inactive icons" that handles that behavior.

What I think you're looking for is the Quick Launch feature of the Taskbar. It's a group of icons that are typically on the left side pushed up against the left side up against the Start button. (That is the default location anyway.) The Quick Launch bar is not enabled by default and must be turned on.

See "Show Quick Launch" on this web page for a description of how to turn it on and add Applications to it.

http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm

http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/QuickLaunch/xpQuickLaunch.htm

Drag and drop any desired application on that portion of the overall toolbar, not the System Tray area, to keep it available at all times.

How's that? Is that what you're trying to do? ;)

Typically these things are associated with some sort of service that starts at start up. If the service is not needed (and a large sum of them are not) you can just disable the service via Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services if memory serves. Some just have options to "disable system tray icon" (and the service still runs but the icon is not displayed) and some are more cumbersome to turn off, like for the volume icon you need to go to the control panel, click on sound, then find the check box to disable it. Others I'm not sure you CAN get rid of, like the USB Device Connected icon. If you're wanting to put stuff in there, it would need to be some sort of service/program that is currently running that was intentionally programmed by the developers to reside there.

Last edited:
Back