[NA]Question for dorks[/NA]

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - I am not a Star Trek dork, but I know some of you are. The USS Enterprise's tail number is NCC-1701 (A, B, C, D, E, and I think F as classifiers).

What does the NCC stand for? Is there a meaning?

Finally - I have only seen a few episodes, but I recall one where they wound up in the past, and they couldn't believe that people were still profit driven. What exactly caused the world to give up the desire for money, and instead to pursue the common good?

SkyHog said:
Ok - I am not a Star Trek dork, but I know some of you are. The USS Enterprise's tail number is NCC-1701 (A, B, C, D, E, and I think F as classifiers).

Finally - I have only seen a few episodes, but I recall one where they wound up in the past, and they couldn't believe that people were still profit driven. What exactly caused the world to give up the desire for money, and instead to pursue the common good?

NCC doesn't stand for anything. It was devised by Matt Jefferies, art director of the first Star Trek series. Jefferies, who is a pilot, based NCC on 20th century aircraft registration codes. In such 20th century usage, an "N" first letter refers to an aircraft registered in the USA. A "C" second letter refers to a civil aircraft. Jefferies added a second "C", just because he thought it looked better. Think of it as being like the arbitrary three-letter code that's part of automobile license plate numbers in many states.

SkyHog said:
What exactly caused the world to give up the desire for money, and instead to pursue the common good?

Free and plentiful energy (like that would actually work)

I remember reading somehwere, a long time ago, that it stood for Naval Contruction Contract and was a carry over from earlier designations. igottafly probably has the real explination and this one was added by the Gene Rodenberry after being asked a bahzillion times what it stood for.

Wiki states:
The particular combination of letters and numbers for the ship's registry, NCC-1701, was chosen because it would be easily readable at a glance by television viewers. "NCC" (unofficially known as ' Naval Construction Contract ') was chosen by analogy to modern civil aircraft identification codes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701%29

Wiki then goes on to agree with igottafly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCC_%28Star_Trek%29

Then there is a reference I have never heard before about the origin of NCC and that is "the game Star Trek: Starfleet Command says "NCC" stands for "New Command Cruiser". Generally games, like the animated Star Trek are also considered non-cannon. So I would not put to much faith into this definition.

Henning said:
Free and plentiful energy (like that would actually work)

Hmmm....... Wonder if I could get some of that free, plentiful energy....
I've been feeling a bit tired lately, and some free energy really would
hit the spot! :rofl: :D :D :D

... and then there is all that GNDN-XXX piping running everywhere :goofy:

SkyHog said:

SkyHog said:
What exactly caused the world to give up the desire for money, and instead to pursue the common good?

Do you ever see the short skirts of ST:TOS female crew members and the of course alien babes?? ;):blowingkisses::D

Back