[NA]Printer Hang[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
any PC I have had does this, including my brand new Toshiba (WinXP), (Lexmark printer this time) - if I start a print job and forget to plug in the printer, I then plug it in and it will not respond to any commands til I reboot the computer.

I try cycling the printer, I try unplugging & recycling the printer, I try the print control window "Cancel all documents" or "Restart print job" all no joy. It displays "canceling print job" but never really does.

what is the trick to get it sync'd again other than rebooting?

Thanks

Switch to a Mac.

(Seriously. I can plug and unplug and everything works. Windows still has DOS underneath waiting for interrupts that never come. Macs have UNIX that know hows to handle things and still multi-task.)

How about Ctrl Alt Del and find the printer connection, terminate the task?

I am really not even considering switching computer systems over a minor thing like this; maybe you were joking Mike? Thousands of dollars and retraining, then the compatibility issues of all my existing software and files?
I can reboot in 3:30, I was just hoping someone had run into this problem and knew a shortcut.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services

Scroll down. You can stop / start / restart most Windows services there.

Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I use it sometimes when a corrupt print job has the printer printing reams of garbage.

Rich

Back