[NA]Power window - 95 Saturn

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Anyone familiar with power windows on a 95 Saturn SL2 Sedan? My son's home from college so I get the maintenance list items - this time it's "rear driver's side window slides up and down by hand, motor runs but window doesn't react".

I pulled the panel (exterior skin for easiest access on the Saturn) and this unit has a black plastic "track" that slides inside a metal track from motor to window regulator, that is no longer connected to the regulator or "slider" as I found defined on saturnfans.com (my resource for annual work on his car).

Here's a couple of pictures of the plastic track inside the metal track at the slider - what I don't see is how the actuator track attaches to the regulator, and have not yet found a detailed enough parts diagram to show what's broken and/or missing.

Here's a pic of the slider and track behind it - what am I missing?

photo1.jpg

If I can't find the missing/broken part - probably going to resort to a "field fix" to attach the slider to the track? (safely wire, skinny hose clamp, duct tape and bailing wire?)

Let's see if this pic is any better ...
photo3.jpg

Here's an ebay link to the whole assembly - so far the best pic I can but not enough detail to see the attachment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/I3-95-SATUR...:Saturn|Model:SL2&hash=item2a0da63fd2&vxp=mtr

95 Saturn? Grasp radiator cap firmly and R&R remainder of vehicle...

Okay, not so funny but you've seen the 97 Explorer I drive so maybe I can get away with it?

No help from me on this one. Haven't looked inside a door panel in more than 20 years.

Last time a regulator in my car broke, I took the door panel apart to look at it.

In my case the motor/gear worked OK, but the weld that connected the scissors assembly to the gear had snapped. Driving the motor up and down with the window not moving ended up putting some significant scratches on the glass. D'oh!

I priced out an aftermarket replacement, then called the local garage that does most of my work. They also use the same brand of aftermarket regulator, then said they normally charge $80 for replacing them. Since I'd have to pay the same for the regulator anyway, I decided to shell out the extra $80 and let someone else do the work so I wouldn't spend a weekend of my own.

I've got a 96 sw. Right frt passenger window has similar issue where plastic slider disengages once in a while (plastic retainer clip is broken). I put the window in about the 3/4 up position and use the motor to get the scissors near the same position. Never dealt with the rear so might be a little different. Btw, this has been my only issue with this vehicle for the past 4 or 5 years, 197,000 miles, 60 mi/day. I've had it 14 years so if it fails tomorrow, I can't complain.

Open up the passenger side and compare what it looks like.
yeah, that was my first thought ... except it's the outer door skin that comes off, and years and/or factory locktight on the retainer screws/clips means that SOME of the door plastic retainer ears WILL break. The gamble is "will enough of them remain intact to hold the door skin on?"

95 Saturn? Grasp radiator cap firmly and R&R remainder of vehicle...
I did almost that 3 years ago when my middle son blew chunks out off #2,3 cylinders which then ruined the head. Junk yard - oops, sorry AggieMike - AUTO RECYCLER engine swap and it's still running for 3rd kid. I declared it "on its last legs" then, but last year swapped in a reman'ed transmission valve body which put it back on its last legs, I think.

Okay, not so funny but you've seen the 97 Explorer I drive so maybe I can get away with it?
yep. :D

I've got a 96 sw. Right frt passenger window has similar issue where plastic slider disengages once in a while (plastic retainer clip is broken). I put the window in about the 3/4 up position and use the motor to get the scissors near the same position. Never dealt with the rear so might be a little different. Btw, this has been my only issue with this vehicle for the past 4 or 5 years, 197,000 miles, 60 mi/day. I've had it 14 years so if it fails tomorrow, I can't complain.

I think that's what I'm missing is some kind of retainer clip. Since he needs to head back to Fort Collins tonight (yeah! He finally has a job!) I'm going to go with a high tech fix and zip tie the track to the slider.

One of these days it really is going to roll over and die for good, but it's survived 3 kids learning to drive and so far, still functions enough to get the last one back and forth to class.

So, field repair it is. Zip tie the track to the slider and hope for the best.

I found the broken retainer clip in the bottom of the door panel when I picked it up to reinstall. I McGuyvered the window regulator tape to the regulator slider with a couple of zip ties. Bet it outlasts the car.

Broken clips on the GM regulators is a common complaint for the 95-00 sedans.

Need a complete one? I got a source or two....

Thanks, Mike - appreciate it. I've buttoned him up and sent him back up north again. If it breaks again before anything catastrophic, I'll be in touch.

Back