NA Power Surge on laptop

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I renewed with EAA they sent me a Phone Battery Backup. It is a rechargeable battery with a cord that plugs it into the laptop USB in order to charge, then you can use it to run your dead phone.
So I follow the instructions and plug it into the powered USB 3.0 port of the laptop and it seems to charge but later I notice this popup (below).
When I click Reset, the window goes away but comes back up later.
Should I click Close? It says it will disable the port whatever that means...doesn't sound happy.
:confused::dunno:
I have trashed the device. Stupid to try.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 28
'not exactly sure what this means, but it may be nothing. The device is meant to take advantage of the power portion of the port, not the data. So, whether or not drivers were properly installed may not matter.

BUT, I'd be careful about using anything that draws a lot of power from a USB port. Rather, I'd use a wall-wart with a usb port on it for charging a battery, rather that the USB port on a laptop. I've seen several laptops killed by drawing too much current through the USB port.

Don't charge it from the computer, the draw, as indicated, can get too high, just use an adaptor like for a phone.

The USB spec limits how much power a device can draw without "asking" for more. (And then there's all the non-standard "standards" for high current draw charging like Apple's for iOS devices hooked to newer Macs, Android devices doing the same thing from PCs, etc.)

All the error is really saying is that the battery thingy is "rude" and drew more power than it requested, since it's probably a "dumb" (read: cheap) device that didn't ask for that much current and the laptop shut down the power to the USB port (appropriately).

Many of those backup battery things are that dumb. They're intended to be charged off of a similarly "dumb" current limited wall or car charger and depending on the laptop, a smarter device will tell them to bug off.

USB became the most over-engineered way to pass serial data ever created and at the same time became the defacto charging port for every device under the Sun, and sometimes the kids don't play nice together on the playground.

If you're seeing laptops killed by drawing too much current through their USB ports, the engineers that made that laptop didn't follow the spec. And whatever laptop that was, was pretty much a POS. :)

Don't plug that device into a laptop. Plug it into a dumb wall charger instead.

The device is in the trash. It's the persistent pop-up that needs attention.

The device is in the trash. It's the persistent pop-up that needs attention.

You're getting the pop up on the laptop that says the device is drawing too much power when it's not connected anymore?

I suspect you fried your USB port on that laptop. Tried to charge anything else lately from it?

Try plugging something else into it like an external hard drive, or synching a phone. See if that resets it and helps.:dunno:

I searched online and got rid of the popup. Microsoft answers or something. Uninstalled a ____ (driver?) and the computer auto reinstalls upon next boot.

I searched online and got rid of the popup. Microsoft answers or something. Uninstalled a ____ (driver?) and the computer auto reinstalls upon next boot.

Worth a try. If the freshly installed driver starts doing it, it's hardware after that.

Back