[NA]Pocket camera Q[NA]

I don't know about that particular one, I have this one http://www.waterproof-camera.org/olympus-tough-8010/ and it does ok for what it is. I bought mine after I took a friend flying in a 172 to take pics of his house and dropped the camera from 200+/- feet. Watched it bounce off his concrete patio and into the pool. Went to the house, fished out the camera, and it was still good to go with only some minor surface blemishes.

I don't know about that particular one, I have this one http://www.waterproof-camera.org/olympus-tough-8010/ and it does ok for what it is. I bought mine after I took a friend flying in a 172 to take pics of his house and dropped the camera from 200+/- feet. Watched it bounce off his concrete patio and into the pool. Went to the house, fished out the camera, and it was still good to go with only some minor surface blemishes.

Contact Olympus! You have the makings of a good commercial right there.

Now we need the tag line - something like Timex's old "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

-Skip

"This Olympus takes a rumpus."
(followed by the "story.")
HR

Last edited:
Two specific questions about this camera:

a) the lens does not protrude. I presume there is something lost compared to one that does. What, in the specs, shows this loss?

b) claims wireless/LAN. Does that mean no cables to download photos?

http://www.waterproof-camera.org/ri...ies-water-and-dust-resistant-digital-cameras/

a) There is probably little loss. They use a "periscope" system- essentially fold the optics so the lens actually sits sideways in the camera. What are you comparing this camera to?

b) Probably uses WiFi, so no cables.

Thanks. Comparing to Powershot 1300, when it gets the slightest bump the protruding lens jambs; throw away camera.

Looking for something that is hardy, durable and easily pocketable with PS1300 quality pics.

Thanks. Comparing to Powershot 1300, when it gets the slightest bump the protruding lens jambs; throw away camera.

Looking for something that is hardy, durable and easily pocketable with PS1300 quality pics.

The Olympus I have is 12.2mpxl and takes a decent picture. It is also a CCD rather than CMOS so if you use it for video in the airplane the prop doesn't do the venetian blind thing. I've been carrying it around for a couple of years, and for a short focal length pocket camera, I have no trouble recommending it.

That Olympus startup time of '2-3 seconds' is slower than I'd like.....a bit pricey too.

That Olympus startup time of '2-3 seconds' is slower than I'd like.....a bit pricey too.

It is, but this one has lasted me 2 years and been underwater several times. Normally my pocket cameras last 6 months before I break them, so in the end for me it's been a positive value.

EyeFi looks pretty neat, but I haven't pulled the trigger and bought one to try out yet.

It's been around a while now and lots of info on how pros use it to instantly transfer shots to a computer that post-processes the shot in near real-time.

I have a minor "need" for tethered shooting for one project/job and my Sony A55 doesn't do cabled tethered shooting.

A lot of A33/A55 fans are using the EyeFi cards as a substitute, mixed with scripts on the PC that watch for new files in a directory and feed the files to a tool like Aperture or Lightroom for immediate processing.

Back