[NA]Password managers

For the love of all that is holy do not use excel.

This is definitely not a good approach. Something I used to do, btw.
Thanks for your input. I really don't only use accounts unless connected to my laptop. I guess I could print the excel sheet, store the file on a thumb drive and update as needed.

Considering PW manager. Thanks again

USB/Thumb drives are fundamentally insecure. Don't use them, ever.

Thanks for your input. I really don't only use accounts unless connected to my laptop. I guess I could print the excel sheet, store the file on a thumb drive and update as needed.

Considering PW manager. Thanks again

as mentioned, usb is even worse. They tend to get lost and are completely unsecured.

now. Imagine your laptop gets legs and walks away. Breaking laptop password is trivial. You now have go into every account with passwords you don’t remember to reset them, while the thief resets your main email password and takes over everything.

Meanwhile with the manager you can quickly change its password and nothing can be accessed

1Password is nice, but not my style from a risk perspective. Overall it is a secure product, I don’t question that, but the closed source nature is a turnoff. I never really know for sure what the software does, or whether there are backdoors not mentioned in their white papers.

I use Bitwarden, which I self-host on my own server which I physically own. It is open-source, and given that I am a software engineer, I am able to interpret that code and have more confidence that it does what I want in a way I consider to be secure. Additionally, my data never leaves the devices I own, which I strongly prefer.

The more you know about “the cloud” the less you like all your data floating around it.

That all said, for most people, 1Password is probably a better choice.

The more you know about “the cloud” the less you like all your data floating around it.

he who controls the keys controls the data...

Back