NA: outdoor light fixture

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
There used to be a gable over the back door, but we had it removed when we had our deck installed.
Said gable used to have a light fixture on it, but now there are a few extra feet of conduit.
I'd like to put a light fixture directly on the brick.

Do I need a special tool to cut the conduit? Should the hole into the house be filled with foam insulation when I'm done?

fixture.jpg

Hacksaw or cutoff wheel on the Dremel.

Turn the power off, and don’t cut the wires too short. ;)

I was thinking of using a pipe cutter, but yeah, ye olde Dremel would work.

Should the conduit be flush with the brick?

Everyone should consider using dark sky compliant outdoor light fixtures.
No need to blast your neighbor’s property with lights, or up into the sky!

Are you going to power said light fixture with said conduit? How about just disconnect the wires from the box and ditch it (You're going to anyway) and pull the conduit from the inside to take up the slack?

Assuming you can't do that and the conduit is stuck, you certainly don't want to cut it flush. You either want another junction box mounted and flashed over the hole, or the light fixture itself. You can always cut more off if you need to.

To do it right, you'll need an MC Cable cutter...If you were down the street (within 100 miles of KCMA) I would come do it for you...

But, you can get by with a wire cutter and vice grips.

Here is a pretty good video on how to do it...

Should the conduit be flush with the brick?
The metal part of the armored cable needs to be attached to the box. Leave enough for that - I assume you want to attach it to the back of the box, so you will want to leave a few inches, put it in the clamp, and shove the whole mess back into the hole (which will have to be larger).

I live somewhere where it rains from time to time so I fill silicone/appropriate sealant around conduit penetrations and then a bead around the back of the box to prevent any water from getting behind it at all. Especially since AC/MC isn't technically wet rated. And of course a properly rated box.

Back