[NA] Online SQL training?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Looking for suggestions for a good online SQL training course. I may soon be in a position where I need to bring people with varying levels of SQL knowledge up to at least a 'decent' level of competence. This will be for report writing - no storage engine discussions, etc. necessary. Beyond the basic 'select * from x where y=z', they need to understand the concept of an index, and why you should try to include an index whenever possible in your queries, inner and outer joins, and aggregate functions. I think if I can get them to that point, they should know enough to be able to Google their way through the finer details.

Primary focus will be on Oracle 11g+. Once that is pretty solid in their minds, I will commence to thoroughly confusing them by introducing the systems that we run on MS SQL Server 2005+.

BTW - These are non-IT people, but have a tendency to comprehend more technical concepts than the typical keyboard puncher.

I suppose I could/should put something together on my own, but I wanted to see if anyone had seen anything that had already taken care of all of the different learning styles, etc.

Google finds a few, though I tend to use books. I have a subscription to safaribooks that that provides "all you can eat" access to thousands of titles on just about any subject.

w3schools.com has a good beginners tutorial and reference manual.

Sounds like trouble. I know some "self made" SQL jockeys that I'd hire. But converting the "Can't we just do a VLOOKUP?" crowd? Sounds like you're asking for trouble. These people are my nightmare's come to life at work. Know just enough to be dangerous and/or complain that the data isn't structured within their realm of knowledge.

I would give them a simple one-to-many scenario and some sort of criteria for picking "the best" record from the child table. Tell them to figure out how to select everything from the parent table and the corresponding "best" record from the child table. If they can do that eloquently and figure it out on their own, I might pursue more training for them. At the very least, the exercise requires some creative googling.

Back