[NA] Need new fax machine

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Existing machine is on last legs. So we need to determine replacement choices. Looking to the group here to suggest brands/models.

We receive about 200-300 legit faxes per month and then the typical quantity of junk stuff. I want something with the laser printer engine, not inkjet or ribbon.

All-in-one's are acceptable if they are robust enough for an office environment and the toner cartridges aren't 3x the hardware cost. Color not required, nor is automatic double sided. If an all-in-one, it must be easy to hang on the LAN.

Price not terribly important. I want a good deal, but service life more important.

I've looked at eFax style services. While I might go to that one day, it won't work for today's situation. I need a solution that within 30 minutes of opening the box, everyone in the office knows how to use. Which means a physical device with keypad, phone jack, scanner/printer.

Switch your number to a netfax service so you don't print junkfaxes.

And yes, teaching people to log into a website to print off or send faxes iis a constant training challenge.

We have a Canon MF5950DW all in one that you can have the faxes emailed internally as a PDF. Print what you want/need. No need to log in to a website. Or they can print out like a normal fax.

Mike we have our faxes come directly into the computer so we can save them or view them or print them.
Not sure if that would be helpful to you. It has cut waay down on my paper and ink expenses.

[bump] Still looking for suggestions of physical devices....

Ed, I'll take a closer look at the one you suggested.

Consider using a physical machine for out going, but receiving through a service like efax. If your people use email, shouldn't be a difficult switch.

We have a Canon MF5950DW all in one that you can have the faxes emailed internally as a PDF. Print what you want/need. No need to log in to a website. Or they can print out like a normal fax.

I have a similar but older Canon multi-tasker that doesn't have the brains to send them as emails but the mechanism is rock solid and will probably last a million years scanning and doing fax. Build heaviness and quality remind me of back when HP was good. And that was a looooong time ago.

I needed multiple things. Sheet feed scanning including legal size, color laser, and at the time, fax. Don't use the fax anymore but the printer is the size of a Prius and will probably be printing after I'm dead.

I'm fairly certain our fax machine hasn't been used in at least three years. Even documents that would have otherwise gotten sent by fax, go through the document scanner and get emailed as a PDF.

I wouldn't spend too much on a new fax machine. Obsolescence is rapidly approaching.

My office has an eFax service, but I refuse to give out my fax number anymore. I don't want people faxing me things, it's 2016. PDF and email it to me. At my last firm, I used to really irritate some of the personal injury attorneys I was up against when I refused to give them my fax number; for some reason, the personal injury bar still LOVES fax machines. Email people, EMAIL! Fax quality, even via eFax, is generally terrible.

For reasons of "security", the medical community is still hugging their fax machines. Other than MD interactions, I haven't sent or received a fax in years.

I have a Canon MF8520 or some number like that. Nice little multifunction unit. Can scan and print duplexed (two sided). That last feature has been a real timesaver of late.

The Cannon unit is getting my attention....

Back