[NA]National News Sources[NA]

Have you found one that rings true to you?

I try not to assess a site's veracity based on what rings true to me, because of the danger of confirmation bias.

Hillary Clinton is a Methodist.

Says who? is it the same people who claimed she was never against gay marriage?

Or was it the ones who claimed she never was against illegal alien amnesty?

Or the ones who claimed she couldn't handle two email addresses at once?

As she embarks Sunday on her 2016 presidential campaign, one facet of Hillary Clinton, 67, is unchanged across her decades as a lawyer, first lady, senator and secretary of state: She was, is and likely always will be a social-justice-focused Methodist.
http://www.religionnews.com/2015/04/10/5-faith-facts-hillary-clinton-social-gospel-methodist-core/

But the former Secretary of State, U.S. Senator and First Lady is, and has always been, a Methodist. Her faith is at once public yet personal, quiet yet bold. She is part of the second-largest Protestant group in the country, but her brand of faith has never been mainstream: Methodists make up about 6% of the total U.S. adult population, according to the Pew Research Center.
http://time.com/2927925/hillary-clintons-religion/

Clinton’s own Methodist roots go back several generations. When John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, sent his followers out, “they were talking to people like my great-great grandparents….people who had been marginalized and left out,” she said.
Growing up in Park Ridge, Ill., her family’s active involvement with First United Methodist Church there “was such an important part of our lives,” she told the crowd. She feels blessed, Clinton said, to have had the church’s influence on her life.
She remained active at First United Methodist Church in Little Rock, where Chelsea Clinton was confirmed, even while first lady of Arkansas. When they lived in the White House, the Clintons attended Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

As the nation’s first lady, Hillary Clinton spoke before the 1996 United Methodist General Conference, the denomination’s top legislative body. At that time, she urged the church to continue its social witness for the world’s children and cultivate “a new sense of caring” about its responsibilities to the larger society.
http://umcconnections.org/2013/11/05/clinton-salutes-long-running-mission-work-new-york/

I have not kept up with this thread after starting it.
Since then I described my quest with friends who said they were pleased with the CSM.
This article -on this very topic- by a CSM editor, is refreshing...albeit 10 yrs old:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0604/p09s02-coop.html
I doubt all news sources could honestly say what is in this piece.

Wow. That is really refreshing, if true. I looked around at some of the articles and they do seem to cover myriad aspects of an issue, and not degrade into a soundbite/bias harangue.

CSM seems to possess something critically needed in our country today ... thoughtfulness.

Since then I described my quest with friends who said they were pleased with the CSM.
This article -on this very topic- by a CSM editor, is refreshing...albeit 10 yrs old:

I have listened to NPR produced programs much more in the past few years since I have gotten into podcasts, and many that I enjoy, including Planet Money, are from NPR. You can argue about whether or not NPR is biased but the programs I listen to don't contain all the emotional hand-waving and baiting from both sides which happens in many other places.

They did some excellent work on the housing bubble back when that happened and that led to the creation of Planet Money as the original reporting was done as an adjunct to This American Life. (For as left as Ira Glass is, he didn't pull any punches when the housing bubble hit and rightly added politicians driving Fannie and Freddy to the roast.)

One bias they do have at PM, is their general insistence that currencies backed by nothing more than the power to tax and borrow, are somehow not a Ponzi scheme.

They decided to stop thinking...

http://m.csmonitor.com/Commentary/2014/0626/Changes-to-Monitor-Commentary

I suspect they can't afford to, and let the editorial staff mostly go.

And now they'll pick various articles from the web, written by others, which is exactly what most here, don't want.

One bias they do have at PM, is their general insistence that currencies backed by nothing more than the power to tax and borrow, are somehow not a Ponzi scheme.

Ponzi schemes may have the ability to borrow, but they don't have the power to tax.

Ponzi schemes may have the ability to borrow, but they don't have the power to tax.

Agreed. There's just not a better word for it.

Dollars are backed by Treasury Bonds.
Treasury Bonds are paid in dollars.

Treasury Bonds cannot exist without the power to tax without bounds.

Anyway... The show is heavily steeped in the folklore that a system such as the above, actually works for the long term.

So there are biases everywhere. And sometimes they're pretty subtle but very important. PM generally tends toward the bias that community debt is meaningless.

They'll explain that money is backed by "the full faith" of government but don't often explain what form that actually takes (bonds) and how the bonds are funded. Or how it's a closed circular system with no intrinsic value.

P.S. That changed with "too big to fail". Ask the bondholders of GM if their contracts were upheld or merely wiped out by a politician in a single stroke of a pen. Those were GREAT investments if the company had been divested, as it should have been.

Instead they received pennies on the dollar and took losses for choosing the correct investment and expecting the rules to be followed.

Agreed. There's just not a better word for it.

Dollars are backed by Treasury Bonds.
Treasury Bonds are paid in dollars.

Treasury Bonds cannot exist without the power to tax without bounds.

Anyway... The show is heavily steeped in the folklore that a system such as the above, actually works for the long term.

So there are biases everywhere. And sometimes they're pretty subtle but very important. PM generally tends toward the bias that community debt is meaningless.

They'll explain that money is backed by "the full faith" of government but don't often explain what form that actually takes (bonds) and how the bonds are funded. Or how it's a closed circular system with no intrinsic value.

Sometime within the last year, Planet Money did two podcasts with one advocating the gold standard and one against.

Sometime within the last year, Planet Money did two podcasts with one advocating the gold standard and one against.

Must have missed that one. Gives them some brownie points toward being journalists and not just writers, though. Neat.

As she embarks Sunday on her 2016 presidential campaign, one facet of Hillary Clinton, 67, is unchanged across her decades as a lawyer, first lady, senator and secretary of state: She was, is and likely always will be a social-justice-focused Methodist.
http://www.religionnews.com/2015/04/10/5-faith-facts-hillary-clinton-social-gospel-methodist-core/

But the former Secretary of State, U.S. Senator and First Lady is, and has always been, a Methodist. Her faith is at once public yet personal, quiet yet bold. She is part of the second-largest Protestant group in the country, but her brand of faith has never been mainstream: Methodists make up about 6% of the total U.S. adult population, according to the Pew Research Center.
http://time.com/2927925/hillary-clintons-religion/

Clinton’s own Methodist roots go back several generations. When John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, sent his followers out, “they were talking to people like my great-great grandparents….people who had been marginalized and left out,” she said.
Growing up in Park Ridge, Ill., her family’s active involvement with First United Methodist Church there “was such an important part of our lives,” she told the crowd. She feels blessed, Clinton said, to have had the church’s influence on her life.
She remained active at First United Methodist Church in Little Rock, where Chelsea Clinton was confirmed, even while first lady of Arkansas. When they lived in the White House, the Clintons attended Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

As the nation’s first lady, Hillary Clinton spoke before the 1996 United Methodist General Conference, the denomination’s top legislative body. At that time, she urged the church to continue its social witness for the world’s children and cultivate “a new sense of caring” about its responsibilities to the larger society.
http://umcconnections.org/2013/11/05/clinton-salutes-long-running-mission-work-new-york/

That's almost as convincing as believing she lived her life in chicago feeling an emotional connection to the Yankees.

What process do you use to decide what's true and what isn't?

I never believe snopes when they say their source was a campaign official, like I remember in the incident I mentioned. I never believe an official of either party they claim something to be true without substantiation.

I never believe anyone connected, no matter how loosely with obama, or hilary.

I never believe snopes when they say their source was a campaign official, like I remember in the incident I mentioned. I never believe an official of either party they claim something to be true without substantiation.

I never believe anyone connected, no matter how loosely with obama, or hilary.

Do you believe people connected with conservative politicians?

NOPE! No more than I believe the drive by wiki posts from ap.

Of course there are so FEW actual conservative politicians that finding someone connected to them might be hard.

11262417_839939592743291_4523846620791143891_n.jpg

Last edited:

Who is dumb enough to believe any politician? Seriously?

They lie for a living. That should be enough right there to not care much about what any of them have to say.

Who is dumb enough to believe any politician? Seriously?

They lie for a living. That should be enough right there to not care much about what any of them have to say.

I only asked because his statement sounded oddly specific.

Back