[NA]Mysterious Program incompatibility[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My fil is trying to get Adobe Photoshop to work on his PC. Its a program he bought and the puter is not aged or unusual, but I can't recall what type.
Every time he tries it, or an older version I have, the error message says, "Not enough RAM".
???
The local computer guru says it could be a 32 vs 64 bit incompatibility.
This seems very wierd to me.

So, dare I ask...

How much RAM does he have?

Photoshop is a big-time RAM hog. I'd guess that on a Windows box, anything less than a gig of RAM is probably not enough for Photoshop. It'll probably run a lot better with 2 gigs.

My fil is trying to get Adobe Photoshop to work on his PC. Its a program he bought and the puter is not aged or unusual, but I can't recall what type.
Every time he tries it, or an older version I have, the error message says, "Not enough RAM".
???
The local computer guru says it could be a 32 vs 64 bit incompatibility.
This seems very wierd to me.

The clue there is the old version of Photoshop. It could be that you actually have too much RAM. If wants at least 32MB and you have 2GB the check can actually overflow and it reads the response as -2000MB, or something.

I think there's a way (RJM?) to put params in the shortcut to run with fewer resources or in 32 bit compatible mode.

You should also check to see if the version even works on XP. I'm sure Adobe will say to upgrade it, but you might Google to see if users have had it work.

I asked more:
He has 1.5G ram and its PhotoDeluxe if that makes a difference
Thanks again guys.

I asked more:
He has 1.5G ram and its PhotoDeluxe if that makes a difference
Thanks again guys.

What version is it?

The versions of PhotoDeluxe I recall were 16-bit apps, if my memory serves me correctly. That could be causing problems. It could be that Windows is allocating RAM at an address that PhotoDeluxe can't access.

Before messing about with command-line parameters (which I would have to research, that being a very old program), why not try using XP's Compatibility Mode?

1. Right-click the shortcut.

2. Select Properties

3. Select "Compatibility" tab.

4. Check "Compatibility Mode" box.

5. Choose an old OS, preferably the app's native OS (the one that was in common use when that particular version of PhotoDeluxe was released).

6. Click Apply, OK, and so forth.

Once in a while, you have to navigate to the actual executable to make compatibility mode work, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. But it's easy enough to give it a shot.

Rich

It also could be the pagefile needs tweaking. I looked up the problem and a few boards mentioned making pagefile changes, with varying degrees of success. But I would try the above first.

Rich

Back