[NA]music lists manipulation[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a compilation of tunes from various sources; napster, itunes, own CDs, etc.
They are in a folder I have named.
When I click on the folder I can see the long list.
Some are listed as "unknown"...but I do know the artist and song name.
I cannot click on (l or r) these attributes in order to change them, in that window.
How to do?

Also, some are mp3s, some mp4s and not all my players can read the mp4s...any way to convert them all to mp3s....or is there a superior format for all of them?

I have a compilation of tunes from various sources; napster, itunes, own CDs, etc.
They are in a folder I have named.
When I click on the folder I can see the long list.
Some are listed as "unknown"...but I do know the artist and song name.
I cannot click on (l or r) these attributes in order to change them, in that window.
How to do?

Also, some are mp3s, some mp4s and not all my players can read the mp4s...any way to convert them all to mp3s....or is there a superior format for all of them?

Dave,

The filename is separate from the tags for song name, etc. You can name the file whatever you want. Your MP3 player software (iTunes, WinAmp, etc.) should be able to change the artist, song, album, etc.

iTunes can also convert things to MP3, and it's free. Whatever player software you're using might do the same thing.

So, what player software are you using? That'll allow us to help you better.

Thks Kent
It's the artist, song name I'd like to change not the filename.
The file names are all AHYP, ZPRE, TYTQ, etc.

I think I need "OpenItunes".

I don't like Itunes because it is always trying to direct me to a website or sell me something. Is it wrong that I think I also heard they will limit the number of times you can copy a song to a device? That might prevent illegal distribution (lets not get into that topic here pls) but it hamstrings my personal use. Or that they will lock songs that you have not acquired through what they think are approved means (T or F?)

Quicktime, which used to be pretty reliable, just yesterday started sending me 'invites' to 'upgrade', in the license agreement which I never read but did this time, it says it will result in incompatibilities AND you will have to BUY something to make it compatible again! Now there's an upgrade we all need to jump on!
I have RealPlayer, I guess I could try that.
WMP doesn't seem to have a place to import songs, list them, organized them.

I don't like Itunes because it is always trying to direct me to a website or sell me something. Is it wrong that I think I also heard they will limit the number of times you can copy a song to a device? That might prevent illegal distribution (lets not get into that topic here pls) but it hamstrings my personal use. Or that they will lock songs that you have not acquired through what they think are approved means (T or F?)

iTunes does NOT hamper your ability to do anything to any music that you didn't buy from the iTunes Music Store - And it doesn't hamper your ability to do anything to any music you bought at the iTMS after about March or so, they've switched to non-DRM, higher-quality files thanks to new agreements with the record labels.

I'm also not sure what you're talking about WRT directing you to web sites/selling you stuff. iTunes allows you to buy stuff through the iTMS, but doesn't direct you anywhere unless you specifically tell it to. You might have clicked on one of the iTMS links in iTunes inadvertently - They're the little arrows next to artists, albums, etc. The arrows are links to search the iTMS for more music from that artist/album/whatever. Don't click them, and you won't end up in the store.

Quicktime, which used to be pretty reliable, just yesterday started sending me 'invites' to 'upgrade', in the license agreement which I never read but did this time, it says it will result in incompatibilities AND you will have to BUY something to make it compatible again! Now there's an upgrade we all need to jump on!

You're inferring way too much here. It's a license agreement. They're merely stating that *if* something is incompatible, you may have to upgrade the something, and that someone may charge you to upgrade the something and it's not their fault. IE, if you're using Photoshop 2.0 that you purchased in the dark ages, and it uses QuickTime and chokes when you upgrade to QuickTime version 17.8 that just came out, it's not Apple's fault that Adobe wants to charge you for the upgrade. That's all.

Kent, here is the license agreement header. Seems to me they are not talking about Photoshop et al, unless I read it wrong.

I will give iTunes a go on your advice. Thanks.

APPLE INC.
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR QUICKTIME

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO QUICKTIME PRO USERS:
INSTALLATION OF QUICKTIME 7 WILL DISABLE THE QUICKTIME PRO FUNCTIONALITY IN PRIOR VERSIONS OF QUICKTIME. IF YOU PROCEED WITH THIS INSTALLATION, YOU MUST PURCHASE A NEW QUICKTIME 7 PRO KEY TO REGAIN QUICKTIME PRO FUNCTIONALITY. AFTER INSTALLATION, VISIT www.apple.com/quicktime TO PURCHASE A QUICKTIME 7 PRO KEY.

Kent, here is the license agreement header. Seems to me they are not talking about Photoshop et al, unless I read it wrong.

I will give iTunes a go on your advice. Thanks.

APPLE INC.
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR QUICKTIME

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO QUICKTIME PRO USERS:
INSTALLATION OF QUICKTIME 7 WILL DISABLE THE QUICKTIME PRO FUNCTIONALITY IN PRIOR VERSIONS OF QUICKTIME. IF YOU PROCEED WITH THIS INSTALLATION, YOU MUST PURCHASE A NEW QUICKTIME 7 PRO KEY TO REGAIN QUICKTIME PRO FUNCTIONALITY. AFTER INSTALLATION, VISIT www.apple.com/quicktime TO PURCHASE A QUICKTIME 7 PRO KEY.

Unless you have QuickTime Pro (which you would have had to purchase), you don't need to worry about that. QuickTime is free. QuickTime Pro costs $10 or $30 or something but you generally don't need it unless you're a (wait for it) "Pro." ;)

They're just saying that for people who paid $ for QuickTime 7 Pro that if they download QuickTime 8 they'll either be back to "free" functionality, or they'll have to pay their $10 or whatever for QuickTime 8 Pro.

OK, sidestep:

A magnanimous board member has given me a free 8gB Zune! (I know! I don't deserve it!)

So, here sits the brand new Zune, and all my music is on the puter.
The Zune (v 2.0) says go to their website to get their software.
Is that my only option? (can you see the fear building already?)

OK, sidestep:

A magnanimous board member has given me a free 8gB Zune! (I know! I don't deserve it!)

So, here sits the brand new Zune, and all my music is on the puter.
The Zune (v 2.0) says go to their website to get their software.
Is that my only option? (can you see the fear building already?)

Install the Zune 3.x series software, Dave. Get it from the source, not a 3rd-party site. Answer to next question: yes, you can use the 3.x series software with a v2.0 device.

http://www.zune.net/en-US/software/default.htm

Back