NA, linksys router problem

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Just looking for ideas.
Here is my latest issue:
Have DSL modem, when connected to it directly all is good (now).
Bought a new Linksys wireless N router (WRT160N). Worked great for a couple of days no issues at all.
Starting last Monday (8th) started dropping my connection quite frequently. Be off for a couple of minutes, then come back with no help from me.
Talked to ISP, eventually tech comes out and says it is a problem in the wire from "the pole" to my house. Runs a new wire, all is well again when connected to the modem. Put the router back on and start dropping connection again.
Get my OLD Linksys wireless G (that was working on this connection till I changed it for the N) and get the same thing, connection dropping same way.
The "dropping" occurs whether hardwired to the router or wireless.
So far I have changed about every setting and installed the latest firmware in the "new" router that Linksys could come up with, even changing the MTU settings.

Anyone have any clue as to why it would start "all of a sudden"? I can relate to the new router doing it for "some" reason, but when I put the old one back on and get the same thing??
BTW, have a new modem/router coming from the ISP now. IF it happens then it is "their" problem FOR SURE.

Thanks

Mark B

Just looking for ideas.
Here is my latest issue:
Have DSL modem, when connected to it directly all is good (now).
Bought a new Linksys wireless N router (WRT160N). Worked great for a couple of days no issues at all.
Starting last Monday (8th) started dropping my connection quite frequently. Be off for a couple of minutes, then come back with no help from me.
Talked to ISP, eventually tech comes out and says it is a problem in the wire from "the pole" to my house. Runs a new wire, all is well again when connected to the modem. Put the router back on and start dropping connection again.
Get my OLD Linksys wireless G (that was working on this connection till I changed it for the N) and get the same thing, connection dropping same way.
The "dropping" occurs whether hardwired to the router or wireless.
So far I have changed about every setting and installed the latest firmware in the "new" router that Linksys could come up with, even changing the MTU settings.

Anyone have any clue as to why it would start "all of a sudden"? I can relate to the new router doing it for "some" reason, but when I put the old one back on and get the same thing??
BTW, have a new modem/router coming from the ISP now. IF it happens then it is "their" problem FOR SURE.

Thanks

Mark B

Have you bypassed the wireless router to see what happens?

I just had to go through this myself. Had to trouble shoot 2 routers a switch and a cable modem.

Not sure what you mean by "bypass" the wireless router?
I have plugged directly to the modem and no issues.

OK, so you only lose connectivity when going through the router? That certainly sounds like you have a router issue. I suggest resetting the router to the defaults, then trying it with your computer using the wired connection to the router. Work with the techs, and get it working without using the wireless first. Then when you have a good wired connection through the router, try the wireless.

Could also be a cable? I've had them suddenly go bad on me before.

Changed the cable. Thought of that also. Brand new one.

I really am just looking for an "answer" I hope the new router/modem from the ISP will fix it. But I want to try and figure out WHY it suddenly went down the tubes.

When it drops, does it come back without restarting the router?

If so, then probably the WAN side of the router is shot. I've found that a lot of intermittent problems have something to do with heat. Some microscopic flaw in a chip or board, perhaps, breaks a trace when it gets to a certain temp.

If the connection doesn't come back up without restarting the router, then possibly the PPoE information in the router is corrupted. This is assuming that your provider uses PPoE and the router is providing authentication. Not all DSL systems use PPOE, and even those that do can be authenticated in other ways (for example, using software on the computer, or coding the PPoE login into the modem itself).

The reason you would still initially connect in this case is that most providers allow an unauthenticated connection for varying periods of time following physical connection to the modem. This is to give users time to self-install the connection software (including downloading it, if necessary).

-Rich

When it drops, does it come back without restarting the router?

If so, then probably the WAN side of the router is shot. I've found that a lot of intermittent problems have something to do with heat. Some microscopic flaw in a chip or board, perhaps, breaks a trace when it gets to a certain temp.

If the connection doesn't come back up without restarting the router, then possibly the PPoE information in the router is corrupted. This is assuming that your provider uses PPoE and the router is providing authentication. Not all DSL systems use PPOE, and even those that do can be authenticated in other ways (for example, using software on the computer, or coding the PPoE login into the modem itself).

The reason you would still initially connect in this case is that most providers allow an unauthenticated connection for varying periods of time following physical connection to the modem. This is to give users time to self-install the connection software (including downloading it, if necessary).

-Rich

Not using PPOE they don't require it.
The STRANGE thing to me is the "old" router has worked for 5 months with NO issues. When I put it on now, I get the signal dropping.
So far, no one at their "tier 2" tech support can figure it either.

DSL? It's likely a line issue.

I threw Verizon out in the street after having the same problems and finally got a call from the 6th tech who said "You're at the edge of the cable length so we have to downgrade your guaranteed speed to 768/128." I was on Cox Cable within 36 hours.

Pay close attention tot he lights on the router. If the WAN/ATM whatever lights stay green then blame the router, if they start flashing or chage colr you knwo the problem is ont he DSL line.

If the problem happens often enough you could stay on the configuration screen and see what it says while the problem is happening. On the DSL modem there or an all-in-one will be a screen indicating the quality and speed of the DSL link. If you CAN'T stay connected while the problem is happening then you blame the inside network - the router itself.

Update:
Get new modem/router combination from ISP, life is good until today.
Son try's to play World of Warcraft and every time he logs on, it kills the DSL.
Couple phone calls to ISP and they are no help. (big surprise).
Find a BB about this exact problem with this model modem/router.
To fix the issue, have to set it to be in 801.b mode only. Now is that WEIRD or what???
But life is good again.

Thanks for all the help.
Mark

Update:

Find a BB about this exact problem with this model modem/router.
To fix the issue, have to set it to be in 801.b mode only. Now is that WEIRD or what???

But life is good again.

Thanks for all the help.
Mark

11n is a draft standard; different manufacturers implement it differently. Mine works, but I was careful to keep the same vendor from card to router to modem.

Glad you found a way to make it work. Have you tried just disabling "N" and leaving b and g on? 'g' will be much faster than 'b'.

Curious if your other problems were always when your son was playing his game??

Well the other problems I know were outside the house. The tech came out and had to run a new line to the house.
As for the b&g. It is specific to "2wire" brand routers that the game has an issue with.
Works fine on N with other companies.

Mark

Back