[NA]Laptop CPR [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
"OS cannot be found"
troubleshooting tips?

have screenshot of error, but cannot upload to forum.

You holds never let me touch it! (grin)

Do you have the OS boot disk? You can, at time, do a repair install of the OS. More likely, if you are lucky, will be (1) pull that HD out, (2) install new one (very cheap), (3) install OS from rvovery disk, and (4) try to recover files from old HD by placing it in a USB HD case.

As Dave mentions, make sure the drive is spinning up first. ;)

After that, Spike's list is pretty good.

Most local computer shops will do all this brain-damage and fight through whatever problems they find for a reasonable price.

Problem is, computers are so cheap, a reasonable price is often below the cost of purchasing a mid-range new machine. ;)

Imagine if cars were this cheap... you'd just leave 'em sitting where they quit and you'd buy a new one to drive the next day.

Drive would not boot, found the previous drive (smaller) and it is fine. Now to get the million updates, reconfigure everything, get the software and desktop the way it was, download the backups, tell the new drive all the new passwords. And load the email..... (pic).
The average Joe's frustration. And this laptop is long in the tooth, so it will all have to be done again once I decide on a new one. Only thing I lost is very recent files and emails (of course, those are the ones you really need) and bookmarks.

Attachments

• crash.JPG
    crash.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
Have you looked at the old drive with a cheap USB adapter? If only the boot sector was damaged, everything may still be there. (Along with whatever virus attacked the boot sector sometimes.)

I have inserted the old drive into a case and tried to access the files. At first it would not spin at all so I froze it. Now it spins noisily for a while, but no access.

I have inserted the old drive into a case and tried to access the files. At first it would not spin at all so I froze it. Now it spins noisily for a while, but no access.

Sounds pretty dead.

If there's anything super valuable on it to you, there are data recovery companies that will use various techniques to get as much data as possible off of it... Not cheap.

Drill some holes in the platters - safeguard your private info.

Plus playing with the drill press is fun. Clamp the drive down and just drill straight through the thing.

.45 ACP also puts nice holes in hard drives if you don't have a drill press handy. :)

Back