[NA]Landline texting[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I just thought of another form of modern communication that I need (the 6 or 8 we already have is not enough :D )
Is there any way to text to a landline such that an automated voice reads it?
And, the reverse - jabbing out an sms onto a landline keypad so that it goes to its destination device like a text.

Some landline phone companies convert incoming text messages to voice so the recipient can hear the text. The service is called, interestingly enough, text-to-voice.

I don't think there's a way to do the opposite, nor do I think it would make much sense. I mean, you're standing there at the phone. Isn't it just as easy to call the person?

Rich

I don't think there's a way to do the opposite, nor do I think it would make much sense. I mean, you're standing there at the phone. Isn't it just as easy to call the person?

Thanks Rich,
There are a couple instances where this would be useful.
The biggest one is because I live in an area with incomplete cell coverage, sometimes we cannot complete a voice call (landline to cell in this instance) but there is enough signal power or whatever to get a text out. (Not often I don't have a cell phone to send that text but sometimes we don't or the battery is dead.)
The other instance would be when I don't want to get tied up in an unnecessarily long conversation (with certain people) but need to tell them something. :)

Dave, have you got Internet? Use an SMS provider. Google Voice has free texting. From a web page or app on your phone.

Dave, have you got Internet?
Yes, on the laptop, iphone and ipad (wifi only).
Use an SMS provider.
My iphone does permit sms texting, I use it constantly.
Google Voice has free texting.
Didn't know, thanks. So I could use my laptop, ipad (with wifi), and iphone to text. I can already text from the laptop using my email browser.

However, I was asking about landline texting. Just something I had not seen yet and someone asked me about. Could be occasionally handy.
Thanks.

Dave, I see I provided a solution, but didn't answer your question.

I'm surprised - this is actually already available:
http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/qt/texttolandline.htm

Not sure about that source, but sounds about right. I imagine it is a telephone company / carrier feature.

I know some VoIP companies have SMS options so that makes sense. If your "land line" were VoIP (with a company that supported SMS) it would probably be an easy to to get SMS on your "land line" if your local telephone company didn't have that option.

I just thought of another form of modern communication that I need (the 6 or 8 we already have is not enough :D )

Is there any way to text to a landline such that an automated voice reads it?

And, the reverse - jabbing out an sms onto a landline keypad so that it goes to its destination device like a text.

Twillio has an API that'll make the phone calls and read the text.

I know someone that keeps a landline simply so grandma can call. G. could probably never get onto the idea of dialing a new number to reach grandchild!

That's interesting. And rare nowadays. Texas thing?

Don't think so. Around here, AT&T is trying very hard to do away with DSL (so described) in favor of uverse (which I believe still relies upon DSL technology for transport anyway), and to talk with them, you'd think it was impossible to get internet without eleventy-million channels of tv. They are also trying very hard to migrate people away from standard POTS to uverse VOIP.

Of course, the real bottom-line is that the various carriers try very hard to make internet-only so obscure that many don't even know it is available.

Back