NA: Kaypro 2X computer

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
I had to clean out the attic in preparation to put the house on the market, and found these, a Kaypro 2X computer and Kaypro (Juki) printer. This was my introduction to the computer age, 35 years ago. Our whole law office ran with two of these for much of the 1980s, transferring files by walking floppy disks from one desk to another.

It powers up to the "A0>" prompt, and pushing a key on the keyboard makes the 'chirp' sound, but no response on the screen. No idea what's wrong with it, if anything. Maybe I just forgot how to start it. If it doesn't work, it would make a great tiedown anchor.

Photo May 12, 1 19 59 PM.jpg Photo May 12, 7 53 05 PM.jpg

More photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/HtqCCzFzhSHfzuLN6

I have no idea what something like this is worth.

That's cool.

I had to clean out the attic in preparation to put the house on the market, and found these, a Kaypro 2X computer and Kaypro (Juki) printer. This was my introduction to the computer age, 35 years ago. Our whole law office ran with two of these for much of the 1980s, transferring files by walking floppy disks from one desk to another.

It powers up to the "A0>" prompt, and pushing a key on the keyboard makes the 'chirp' sound, but no response on the screen. No idea what's wrong with it, if anything. Maybe I just forgot how to start it. If it doesn't work, it would make a great tiedown anchor.

View attachment 45381 View attachment 45382

More photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/HtqCCzFzhSHfzuLN6

I have no idea what something like this is worth.

I had one too, at least similar if not the same model. Different printer, can't recall the name. It was handy and used it a lot for flight instruction, made label endorsements, lesson plans, etc. Think I donated it or may have sold it. Started with those Commodore computers, Vic 20 or something and a Commadore 64. Used the TRS 80 "trash 80" in college.

That is seriously cool. It was a man-portable computer !!

Do you have a floppy with the operating system ? It may not know what to do with the keyboard until the OS is loaded.
How was the bios loaded in those. On an eprom ?

Back