[NA] Judicial Overkill

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
This article in the Sun-Sentinel of Florida talks about a case of judicial overkill.

Judge Eileen O'Connor sentenced a 19-year-old man (Stacey Forbes) to 4 MONTHS in jail for accidentally lying on a jury questionnaire. Mr. Forbes has been arrested twice but never convicted, and he answered "no" to a question asking if he'd ever been arrested. Mr. Forbes has a reading disability, and claims that he thought they meant "convicted".

Compare that to the 90 day sentence handed down in 1999 to an FBI agent who killed two men in a drunk-driving accident.

Judicial activism indeed. Anybody want to guess who appointed Judge O'Connor?

Seems kinda hard to me to "accidentally" lie about whether or not you've ever been arrested.

Absolutely rediculous sentance for what very well may have been a simple mistake on the kid's part... but...
MSmith said:
Compare that to the 90 day sentence handed down in 1999 to an FBI agent who killed two men in a drunk-driving accident.
Unless Judge O'Connor sentenced those two FBI agents, I don't quite see the relevence...

Judicial activism indeed. Anybody want to guess who appointed Judge O'Connor?
Who appointed the judge who sentenced the FBI agents?

Joe Williams said:
Seems kinda hard to me to "accidentally" lie about whether or not you've ever been arrested.
The kid's story is that he misunderstood the question to mean convicted vs. arrested. Read the article - even behind the spin, there is a level of plausibility to it that makes 4 months to me seem absolutely outrageous...

I found an article that mentioned that Judge Marc Gold (of the FBI agent case) was elected in 1996. I can't find anything about that election or a party for him.

Back