[NA]Itunes hell[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
aarrrg and this is probably something you told me already but how do I move a song from my desktop into itunes??

I can drag it over or I can use the Import function but as soon as I remove it from my desktop za-bink, it no longer works in itunes ("can't find it")

Last time I was able to trick it by importing to computer A, leave on desktop, use homesharing to move it to computer B, then delete from desktop A, then use homesharing to move back to computer A.
I hate tricks however - shouldn't have to do that.

aarrrg and this is probably something you told me already but how do I move a song from my desktop into itunes??

I can drag it over or I can use the Import function but as soon as I remove it from my desktop za-bink, it no longer works in itunes ("can't find it")

Last time I was able to trick it by importing to computer A, leave on desktop, use homesharing to move it to computer B, then delete from desktop A, then use homesharing to move back to computer A.
I hate tricks however - shouldn't have to do that.
Some geek is bound to have a better answer but I think it will work to first put it somewhere in your music folder but not in the iTunes folder, then import it. The file will still physically be where it was originally but it will be in your iTunes library. This is what I do when I buy songs from other sources like Lala.

For being software from The World's Greatest and Inviolable Software and Hardware Perfection Company, iTunes sure is a pain in the axe.

For being software from The World's Greatest and Inviolable Software and Hardware Perfection Company, iTunes sure is a pain in the axe.

God forbid you decide to transfer music OFF the device.

Apparently, its supposed to be easy to do. I've yet to have a device where its as simple as they say.

More-over, try synching the library from one device to another. I had to download some other application, pull the music off the iPhone, store it to my computer, then reimport it into iTunes and then sync to do it.

Intuitive, eh?

in i tunes, edit, preferences, advanced
check the copy music to itunes folder
now import the song

Some geek is bound to have a better answer but I think it will work to first put it somewhere in your music folder but not in the iTunes folder, then import it. The file will still physically be where it was originally but it will be in your iTunes library. This is what I do when I buy songs from other sources like Lala.

is that a non-desktop folder, Mari? Did not work for a new folder I put on the dt

in i tunes, edit, preferences, advanced
check the copy music to itunes folder
now import the song

huh; a new genius. How come I don't remember you?
Thanks, works like a charm. Much appreciated.

Now I gotta wonder, why is it defaulted to not add songs to library? Who would want it that way? Would the vast majority of users not want this?? Is it some trick to make us buy more from the istore?!

Last edited:

Now I gotta wonder, why is it defaulted to not add songs to library? Who would want it that way? Would the vast majority of users not want this?? Is it some trick to make us buy more from the istore?!

Shhh, don't tell anyone. I snuck over here from alt microsoft flight sim newsgroups. I only post when I can help but i try to read everything.

Alot of users don't use itunes as a default player (myself included) and may want to keep files where they put them. but not checking that box will not allow you to ever move that file and have itunes find it. Found that out after having to delete 600 songs and having to reinstall them on my wifes notebook.

And yeah, I'm a flight simmer, not a pilot (only 2 or 3 hrs with me in control) but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.:yesnod:

Some users want the file to stay where they put it on the filesystem instead of having yet another copy of it be made inside the library. No conspiracy in this one.

Dave,

Using the preference to have iTunes organize your music, anything you drag into iTunes will be copied into the iTunes Music folder. *Copied* as in taking up more disk space unless you delete the original one. However, if you do move or delete the original, iTunes still has its copy and you can still play it.

When iTunes first came out, I had been using SoundJam Pro and had MP3's scattered all over creation on my hard drive. Originally I didn't have iTunes organize things for me, as it made more sense to me the way I had it. Over time, the mess became unmanageable, so I clicked the box and iTunes put everything in one place for me. Now, I don't have to worry about it any more. :yes:

Back