[NA]is it Spambot?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is that the name of the condition a puter has when it is mass emailing ads, unbeknownst to the computer owner/user?
Trying to direct a friend.
Tks

yeah, well I did google it and got conflicting info but presumably that's it?

"Spambot" is kind of a generic term for software that is involved in the sending of spam. It may actually send spam, or it may harvest email addresses that are then used to send spam.

A computer that is being used by someone other than its owner to send spam is usually called a "zombie," although it might also be referred to as a spambot. The terms "botted" or "botnetted" are also something used if the machine is part of a "botnet," which may exist for spamming or other malicious purposes.

Of course, these are all colloquialisms, so they're often misused, not unlike people who call every piece of malicious software that can infect a computer a "virus." There actually are specific definitions for different kinds of malware, but they're commonly misused, both because of ignorance and because so much of the malware out there these days is multi-modal.

I frequently have to call the Security Department of Optimum Online to have modems reactivated. Optimum will deactivate a customer's modem if it detects that one or more computers at that IP are zombied, and they can't contact the customer to have them rectify the problem. In the past, they made me certify that I'd done a reformat. Nowadays, they will usually reactivate if I can convince them that I was able to clean the machine. But they monitor it for a while after reactivation.

-Rich

Back