[NA]iphone data auto-on?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Email received from ATT warning about being near data plan maximum.
Bonafide message; and indeed near maximum.

BUT the user never turned on the Network>3G or Network>Data (and neither could anyone else) in the last week.

Is it possible that an app which needs access to the net is turning it on either without the user's knowledge (or using terms in a popup that sound benign but are actually turning on the 3G or Data)?

Don't worry. Apple knows what's best for you, and they'll make sure the phone turns the data on and off as required, regardless of your personal preferences in the matter.

Email received from ATT warning about being near data plan maximum.
Bonafide message; and indeed near maximum.

BUT the user never turned on the Network>3G or Network>Data (and neither could anyone else) in the last week.

Is it possible that an app which needs access to the net is turning it on either without the user's knowledge (or using terms in a popup that sound benign but are actually turning on the 3G or Data)?

I have seen this also.
My phone never left the house, always on wifi, but somehow it used data on the AT&T network.
Very little, but it did use some.

To briefly state the probem:

The moronic thing phones home with diagnostics via 3G if not in the charger.

The fix:

Connect your phone to whatever you use iTunes on
Click on Preferences...Advanced...Reset all dialog Warnings
This time when it pops up and asks you if you want to send diagnostic information to apple to improve the products say NO.

Last edited:
I have this issue when I travel overseas. I have an unlimited data plan (grandfathered from the old AT&T contract plan but data usage is very expensive in Southeast Asia on my U.S. phone. By default data roaming is turned off so only the WIFI is active when I'm overseas and I just turn it on in an emergency if I need it. If you had a limited data plan you could just turn 3G off most of the time if you spend much time in wireless areas.

The other thing you can do (I do this to my phone at night) is turn airplane mode on, and then turn wireless back on. This enables wireless but it shuts the phone function and cell data network off. That way I can get email and do Skype without incurring international phone roaming charges as well as data charges.

Back