(NA) iPad spam controls (NA)

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Wow, the volume of spam I am getting in their email program is breathtaking! My laptop filters 90pct of it so I had no idea. On the iPad, I am pouring through reams of spam in order to seek the odd email. Any tips?

Wow, the volume of spam I am getting in their email program is breathtaking! My laptop filters 90pct of it so I had no idea. On the iPad, I am pouring through reams of spam in order to seek the odd email. Any tips?

Use Gmail. It's extremely rare to see spam on any of my 3 gmail accounts.

Use Gmail. It's extremely rare to see spam on any of my 3 gmail accounts.

I have GMail pick up the email from my personal domain and email service, and gmail filters it prior to putting it in my gmail inbox.

might need to spoon feed me here, is this right:
I keep my current email address.
All that mail is somehow (how do I set that up, what steps must be taken?) routed to a new, gmail account.
I set up the ipad/ipods to see only gmail.
And if I do so what is the cost. I mean, can I retain my current mail situation on my laptop?

might need to spoon feed me here, is this right:
I keep my current email address.
All that mail is somehow (how do I set that up, what steps must be taken?) routed to a new, gmail account.
I set up the ipad/ipods to see only gmail.
And if I do so what is the cost. I mean, can I retain my current mail situation on my laptop?

It's free.

Not too bad to walk you through it, just post your personal info on here including your passwords :yikes: :D

Just kidding. What is the domain of your email address (@????.com) and do you know if it is "POP" or "IMAP"?

My primary email address is an actual gmail account but I too have another POP3 email address laundered through gmail. Once in about six months a spam email may get through, and I've yet to discover a message I wanted that was accidentally filtered. Say what you want about Google but for this they are dialed in 100%.

Server side spam filters are always better than having software on your computer/device, Dave. That's why nowadays you don't see spam filters on things like the iPad.

I was utterly confused by this thread until I realized that you must have had a spam filter built-in to your mail client software before.

iPad and most mobile device mail don't do spam filtering on the device. That's a server's job and a properly configured mail server can do it way better (and even respond nearly instantly to new spam addresses via various services out there) than any "heuristic" spam filter running on the recipient's device.

The reason folks are asking for the domain name of your mailbox is they're wondering what crappy mail host isn't already doing this for you in 2011. Or thinking that maybe your mail host has settings to up their sensitivity to spam.

The very best mail hosts give you a way to feed spam messages that do make it through their filters back into their spam filter engine so it can "learn". Usually it's a folder you can copy them to if you're running IMAP or a special address you can forward to if you're using the outdated POP3 retrieval method.

I've been on MobileMe for a while now, but have run my own mail servers in the past and had settled on the services of the folks at Fastmail.fm for a few years before that. They're utterly fanatical about mail services and that's all they did. Mail. Incredibly good.

They were purchased by Opera (yes, the browser folks) a while back and I have no idea if the key people are still there that made that system run like clockwork. I hope so. Well worth the tiny price I paid to host 6GB of mail there for years.

So we're all wondering who this mystery ISP is that's so far behind the times. ;)

Yahoo, Google, all the big names have excellent server-side spam filtering and full-time professionals to take care of all the details of keeping up with the millions of botnet boxes spewing spam by the millions.

Sometimes it's just time for an address change too. Keep the old one open for a while, check it weekly for real messages you care about and migrate everyone else over to the new one. I have one address I've owned the domain on since around 1993 or so that I'll never give up, but when I ran it on my own server, it gets about 1000 spam messages a week. I got good at the filter writing and blocked a lot of country's IP ranges I would never get mail from ever, so about 15 would make it through the filter. The rest were sent straight to /dev/null.

It eventually became a time thing. Do inwant to waste my life fighting spammers or get an hour or two back a week for a few bucks a year. I chose option 2. ;)

Yahoo, Google, all the big names have excellent server-side spam filtering and full-time professionals to take care of all the details of keeping up with the millions of botnet boxes spewing spam by the millions.

I'm glad you didn't mention Hotmail and its MS variants. For such a "big name" an astounding amount of spam makes it through. Finally convinced my wife to change.

I believe his email is hosted by AT&T which, I guess, makes it Yahoo, right?

1. Sign up for a Gmail account.

2. Follow these instructions to import your other email account into Google.

3. Enable POP and IMAP access in your Gmail account on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab on your gmail account settings screen.

4. In your iPad/iPhone configure the mail client to sync with your new Gmail account using the default Gmail settings provided.

All emails sent to your old address will then be downloaded to your device email client by your Gmail account, having been filtered for spam.

You can also set your iPhone/iPad to send emails through your original account outgoing servers but receive them through Gmail servers. There are a couple different ways to do this. For simplicity, I would go into your Gmail acount settings on your iPad and change the outgoing server settings to your >old< settings, but keep your incoming server settings as configured for Gmail.

You can also set up two different accounts on your device client but personally I think that's clunky.

Don't forget to either delete or disable your original account on your iPad/iPhone so you don't receive two copies of every email (and continue to receive spam.)

Last edited:
New email and a migration is a worthwhile thought. I completed a migration from earthlink several years ago to Gmail and haven't been disappointed.

If you MUST maintain an email with the old provider for some reason, change the email address/account name and ONLY use it for dealings with the email/account provider. It will as a result have fairly low traffic.

Thunderbird and outlook can retrieve Gmail, as can devices. Gmail can also forward to other accounts.

I don't have a spam problem anymore, except when dodo's forward crap on listservs I'm subscribed to.

Back