NA Help buy printers

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am going to buy 3-6 printers for work, thought maybe I could get some feedback on liked brands/models:

Low use laser (not inkjet), black and white only.
We go through 2000 sheets/mo max (on all, not each).
I want them networkable (but wired; don't need wireless)
Is there such a thing as plug and play for this?
Integral flatbed scanner/copier.
Low cost, "disposable" are fine
We are using Win7 with a Server2012.
Trying to think what other specs you need, too frazzled at this hour.

I have had excellent service from an HP Laserjet 1022. Over 10 years now... ok, very low volume. This one does not have an integral scanner, however. My experience is that multi-function is not the way to go. One side of it breaks and then you have to replace both sides to restore capability. -Skip

Skip I was wondering if the HP Laserjet 1022 has a newer version?
And something with a flatbed scanner/copier.
Plus network connection.
Tks

I know you said you want laser but I've had really good luck with two HP 8700 series printers. They're scanners, copiers, everything. They use VERY little ink, unlike the old HP ink hogs of the past.

I've been pretty happy with my Canon laser MFC. The only downside is their customer support is non-existant. The good thing is that there has been not much cause for me to ever even attempt to contact them.

Look at a HP LaserJet Pro M127fn Multi-function printer. HP direct price is $209. Might be able to get them for a few bucks less if you have an account wit CDW, etc.

For a business environment, you want HP LaserJet. Period.

Depending on network configuration, you may be happy with 3-4 stand alone, networked printer-only versions.

Then buy 1-2 multifunction fax-copier-printer-scanners and hang them on the network.

And, of scanning is a main work flow function, even a dedicated scanner may be called for.

The hardware should be LaserJet, the mix of products will depend on office configuration and workflow types of things.

I have the duplex version of the Canon by the way. Having a duplexing scanner has been real darn useful to me.
I disagree about Jose's HP LaserJet assertion. We had tons of those models and I haven't found them any LESS problematic than the Canons or even the Kyocera lasers we have.

In fact, I was less than impressed with the TCP/IP networking on the LaserJet compared to some of the others.

I honestly don't remember the last time I had a problem with an HP printer. I don't mean the bottom-of-the-line consumer models because I haven't any experience with them. I mean the basic business-level laser printers and up. My current CLJ 3600 has outlasted four cars and at least as many computers. They just keep on working.

Rich

I've been pretty happy with my Canon laser MFC. The only downside is their customer support is non-existant. The good thing is that there has been not much cause for me to ever even attempt to contact them.

For 2000 pages a month, I'd agree. The MFCs are tanks. HP stuff is fine too.

We also have quite a bit of Xerox stuff on lease that works well but we have much much much higher page counts than you're describing.

The scanner stuff will make you insane in a corporate environment if the printer doesn't have enough smarts to simply email someone a copy of their scan, preferably in PDF. Any off-printer/server software WILL be a problem, eventually, even if it isn't on day one. (Think forced OS upgrades and what not... Something always breaks on that crap and REAL software support on any printer older than three years often is non-existent.)

Really look hard at your true scanning needs and if it's really only a small group of people, consider getting the group a nice scanner or multifunction just for them, and plopping it down somewhere close.

I'm surprised at the need for five printers for a 2000 sheet a month environment, too. Depends on office layout and walking distance I suppose.

The vast vast majority of our way more than 10,000 pages a month flows through that single big leased Xerox and it has the ability to scan to an email and also to scan into pre-defined Windows/CIFS network shares with one button press, once we configure it. Four different groups scan to their shared file areas on a NAS with it.

A couple of execs have inexpensive HP printers in their offices and I'd be amazed if either prints a full team of paper every month. Accounting has another small HP and they give it a workout, but it was so cheap it can be replaced at any time with a trip to a local store with a credit card.

We also run a full digital print shop out back, but that's a completely different story. A laser printer that uses roll paper that has to be brought to it with a forklift. Heh. It doesn't scan, amazingly enough! Ha.

My Canon MFC will scan to email (PDF), or to a file system, or to an application that runs on either a PC or MAC. The application is a mixed bag, I just scan to email most of the time.

Back