[NA]Garden hoses

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Has anyone tried those metal garden hoses?
Some are SS.
Any issues?
Need to get a 150’ for the hangar

That seems like a terrible idea. Should be fun when it's been sitting in the sun for an hour, lol. I've been using the 3/4" Neverkink XP (red color) hoses at my home and they've been perfect for several years without a sign of cracking or splitting. Purchased at Lowe's I believe. I leave them outside all year long, so they are exposed to sun, heat, and freezing weather. I have three-75ft hoses and one-100ft hose. The 100ft-er and 1-75ft hose stays on a hose reel cart. The other two 75' hoses are on other sides of the house.

1694628058421.png

Be careful with those aluminum connectors, if they are left hooked up to brass faucets, you will be cutting them off with a dremel. Now I use a plastic shutoff between them and the copper or brass.

What hose reels do you use? Mine all to make it one season or so until they crack.

Be careful with those aluminum connectors, if they are left hooked up to brass faucets, you will be cutting them off with a dremel. Now I use a plastic shutoff between them and the copper or brass.
I learned that lesson well. Unfortunately, it took me several occurrences to learn it well.

I used to buy those miracle garden hoses at ACE hardware and would return them every few months when they burst. That is, until they finally banned me from returning them.

Then about 5 years ago I bought a couple of these at Sams. They have been working well here in Florida ever since. Of course, I do curl them up and put them in a hose pot near the faucet when not in use.

Last edited:
I have a couple I bought at harbor freight, lifetime guarantee they say. I have about 200 feet of them for watering horse stalls. I've returned a few. They too told me no more, but until that time they did warranty it. They wanted me to bring in the cardboard paper that had the warranty on it, of course I didn't have it, so I bought one, took it to the truck, cut it off, then went back in with old hose. The other problem with them is they are marked as 3/4 inch hose but they are actually larger than that and a 3/4 hose repair kit won't seal right. I went to a hardware store and bought a 3/4 inch brass nipple and it slid in no problem. And I'm no plumber but I think the 3/4 inch nipple is inside diameter.

I do prefer 3/4 or 1 inch nipples to the 1/2 inches I've had in the past.

What hose reels do you use? Mine all to make it one season or so until they crack.
The Ironton (Northern Tool) hose reel cart holds the 175ft of hose, but is supposed to accept like 250-300ft and is back behind the garage. I have had it for 4+ years and it still looks new and operates as it should. I have a cast aluminum one from Northern Tool (Liberty maybe?) in the front yard that is a bit better for curb appeal but I don't use it all that much, but it's only a few years old so not much to go on there for long-term review.

1694633326509.png

I got a goodyear made in usa rubber hose when we moved here in 2011, along with whatever hose reel they had at HD; both are still going.

No they are rubber hoses with those awful aluminum connectors. The problem with the metal hoses are if they get bent, or kinked, you'll probably never get it straightened again.

I think my sillcocks are chrome-plated brass, but I haven't had any issues removing the hoses with the aluminum connections. They usually stay connected from April-November. I know I've fought with the cheaper brass or plastic couplings on the cheap hoses where you have to get a pair of channel lock pliers to break them loose.

....... The problem with the metal hoses are if they get bent, or kinked, you'll probably never get it straightened again.

I haven't had an garden hoses like that, but I have other hoses...and yeah, getting them dented or bent is the first thing that comes to my mind when I see them...

Not long ago, I splurged on a flexizilla garden hose, so far I've been happy.

I have a 3/8 inch x 25ft flexilla air hose that I put garden hose fitting on, and use that for my motorhome. That's what I'd use for shorter runs up to maybe 50ft-75ft-ish....smaller, easier to handle, easier to coil, etc.......it handles plenty of flow rate wherever I've been...... Maybe too much of a pressure drop though at the 150ft length you need.... but if there's plenty of pressure it might be something to consider

A few years ago I bought a couple of those expanding Pocket Hose advertised by Richard Karn from ''Tool Time''.

I got 2 of them. One leaked from the start, the other lasted 2 days then leaked. So I sent them back and they sent me a replacement pair. Both leaked right out of the box. Third pair, one leaked out of the box but the other one lasted 2 weeks.

Several phone calls later I got my money back. I shoulda took more notice when inside the box was a page on how to return leaking hoses...

Has anyone tried those metal garden hoses?
Some are SS.
Any issues?
Need to get a 150’ for the hangar

I got one. No problems. I like it

The other problem with them is they are marked as 3/4 inch hose but they are actually larger than that and a 3/4 hose repair kit won't seal right.
That may be true in your case but another cause is that some are “anti-kink” and have a 1/8” or so bead molded into them lengthwise on the inside, which makes it impossible to get a good seal on a nipple no matter how tight you tighten the hose clamp unless you cut/scrape that out for the last few inches of the repair. I happen to have a curved “curette”-type X-acto that works well for that. I had to re-learn that lesson once or twice over the years…

<ponders the number of times hoses get run over by autos and garden tractors around here> ....I have rethought my plans and will be looking at good old rubber. The NeverKink Contractor looks awesome.

Will help for a little while, best bet is to not leave them connected.

I've not found the green neverkinks to live up to their name. I'll have to try the red.

I've not found the green neverkinks to live up to their name. I'll have to try the red.
I had the 1/2" grey Neverkink about 10 years ago and it lasted about 3 years before I started having some cracks/splits in the casing. That's when I got the red Contractor model and they're built much more robust. Obviously that makes them heavier and more of a chore to drag around, but it's well worth the trade-off.

Heavy is OK. I invested heavily in a bunch of wheeled hose reels from Sams Club we have all over the yard.

Back