NA For you Computer Gurus out there.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
I really should know this, but I can't remember, and it is driving me nuts trying to find it.

I have been away from continually learning and upgrading my computer for several years now, as I have devoted all of my time and extra resources to aviation. Therefore I only upgrade when absolutely necessary, and then only to a point. Half of my peripherals no longer work because of the upgrade to XP. But back to the issue at hand.

A while agao I set up two wireless networks for my home and office areas. For the sake of ease of setup and memory, I set them up identically and without encryption. I would like to change this, but for the life of me, I can't find out how to do it. I have 1 computer hooked up with an ethernet cable, and the rest access the router by wireless. How do I close the system up, now that it is running?

Thanks,

Well, what kind of wireless access points are you using? More detailed instruction need more details to start with.

The easist general procedure is to connect to the wireless AP usually you can just point a web browser to the IP address assigned to it.

There will be a page about security. I usually just use 40 bit WEP. This takes a 10 digit key. An easy to remember 10digit key is a phone number.

Now I'm sure we will hear about better more secure encryption methods but in practice very few networks are hacked by breaking the encryption.

Joe

Just open the router's address up in your browser maybe http://192.168.1.1 on the WIRED PC.

Enable WPA (WPA-PSK) on the router. do the same on the wireless computers. Sacrifice a chicken and cross fingers. If it's Windows, face Redmond, genuflect and reboot.

Take a look in the router maker's manual. You can google for it with the wired computer.

Good luck.

Back