NA: Dumb hurricane quote of the week.

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
This morning on CNN radio the announcer stated that later this week "hurricane Hanna will make landfall off of the US coast".

How can something make landfall when it is off the coast. Wouldn't it still be over water and thus not on land???

It could make landfall on Cuba - that's off the US coast...

Weird...or not so weird?

Whenever I see a reference to Hurricane Hanna, I immediately think of Bob "Hurricane" Hannah.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=65

Hannah continued to seek the adrenalin rush even after his motorcycle-racing career ended. After leaving motocross, Hannah took up the sport of airplane racing in the unlimited class. When inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1999, Hannah was living near Boise, Idaho, running a sport aviation sales company.

While we're at it, can someone explain which Style book allows the term "century mark" (a measure of time) to refer to "100 degrees" (a measure of temperature)....

I can think of a number of other example of similar constructs, but c'mon.

While we're at it, can someone explain which Style book allows the term "century mark" (a measure of time) to refer to "100 degrees" (a measure of temperature)....

That would be right up there with TV and radio news people making such statements as I heard during Tropical Storm Eduardo:

"We're efforting to get more information from the Galveston area."

Another noun becomes a verb? By professional journalists, no less! :dunno:

jumbo shrimp

shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.

Today's journalists are on the slippery slope of a sea change. :rolleyes:

Back