[NA]Does Bluetooth=bluetooth=bluetooth?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a Samsung phone that can 'bluetooth' to a um, handsfree or is it a headset. It can also record audio and take pictures.

I have a bluetooth receiver device (I think it is called) that plugs into a usb port of the computer. The software is installed and it seems to navigate properly.
It used to be able to dl from the old motorola phone, but not this phone as yet.

Is it possible that the only bluetoothing this phone can do is for the headset, and it is incapable of sending pics etc to the computer?

Thanks

ps I have rtfm with no improvement noted!

Last edited:
Is it possible that the only bluetoothing this phone can do is for the headset, and it is incapable of sending pics etc to the computer?

Thanks

ps I have rtfm with no improvement noted!

Verizon does this. It cripples the phones so they only work with a headset - nothing more.

ASSuming you're on a different carrier, it SHOULD work, unless they, too, have dumbed down the handset, or unless they're not recognizing each other.

What service provider are you on?

Verizon locks down a lot of the BT profiles. Or it could just be that Samsung does not support the profile you need to hook up to your computer. I am not that familiar with what exactly Samsung supports.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Works/Profiles_Overview.htm

If he is the office tomorrow I can ask the Chairmen of the Board of Directors of the Bluetooth SIG as he sits in the office next to mine and we work for the same person.

Would a phone sold as "unlocked" avoid this dumbing down? I just bought one that arrives Tuesday, so I hope the answer is yes.

Would a phone sold as "unlocked" avoid this dumbing down? I just bought one that arrives Tuesday, so I hope the answer is yes.
Nope. Unlocked generally refers to the ability to allow SIM cards from a network provider other than the one that sold you the phone.

BT is not related to SIM locking nor does Sprint or Verizon use SIM cards. Verizon may have a way to unlock certain BT profiles. If so then perhaps someone is now using that term but I have not heard it used in such a way.

What model?

My Bluetooth contact tells me that not all profiles are supported in everyone's model, there is also an issue with the profiles that Microsoft decided to support and what the open standard profile is from Bluetooth. There may also be a software issue with your dongle.

What model Samsung phone is this? I have access to a very large knowledge database that will tell us for certain whether or not the phone can do what you wish.

Nick, would you mind checking the Verizon Treo 650? I don't seem to be able to get it to work in my Toyota Tundra -- the truck doesn't seem to recognize the handshake.

Scott nailed it. The 650 cannot sync with anything other than a bluetooth headset from Verizon. Maybe try loading alternate software version on it? I've never heard for sure if that works though.

BTW Verizon announced very recently that they will relax what equipment can connect to their network. They are opening it up to just about anything you want. In other words they are taking a step at becoming a pipe provider. I have no more details than what they have in their press release.

Methinks Dave has not heard / used the term, "dongle" before.

It's the bluetooth thingie that plugs into the USB port; "dongle," more generically, refers to most any little external device that plugs into the computer to perform an independent function. Used to be, lots of software came with dongles that plugged into the serial port (pre-USB) to act as a hardware key for the software; no dongle, no function.

I beg your pardon!
I can assure you there is not a thing wrong with my dongle!
:D:D

Methinks Dave has not heard / used the term, "dongle" before.

It's the bluetooth thingie that plugs into the USB port; "dongle," more generically, refers to most any little external device that plugs into the computer to perform an independent function. Used to be, lots of software came with dongles that plugged into the serial port (pre-USB) to act as a hardware key for the software; no dongle, no function.
Yes that is the real definition. It may be that your dongle or rather the software that is driving it may not support a profile that you phone is using. Similar to the M$ synch profile issue.

Its a SGH-a437.
I went to the dealer (RadioShack) today and he said he could not get his and mine to talk.
Hard to believe there is a cameraphone that won't allow you to actually do anything with the pictures!

Its a SGH-a437.
I went to the dealer (RadioShack) today and he said he could not get his and mine to talk.
Hard to believe there is a cameraphone that won't allow you to actually do anything with the pictures!
If it is Verizon what they would like you to do with the pictures is use their network to upload them to your computer via email or some other none-peer-to-peer connection. This way the data transfer generates income for Verizon.

Verizon is not AT&T.

It's Verizon.

is Verizon = ATT?
Sorry was not paying attention when I wrote that. I was thinking we were onto a new problem. First you can email the picture to your home account so you can get it that way.

That particular phone only supports Bluetooth HFP and HSP profiles (http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Works/Profiles_Overview.htm). Those are for handfree speaker phones, headset, etc and stereo bluetooth. In other words no data transfer.

http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/samsung/sgh-a437.html

at&t is the new cingular who is the new AT&T ... very innovative and clever way to clear the books and reinvent a business ...

Scott nailed it. The 650 cannot sync with anything other than a bluetooth headset from Verizon. Maybe try loading alternate software version on it? I've never heard for sure if that works though.

There is a workaround, actually, if it is a motorola phone. You have to edit some registry info IIRC. I did it on my E815 and I'm pretty limited in my knowledge, other than doing google searches. The phone communicated with my desktop via a BT dongle, and with my palm as well afterwards. It took some google searches to get the how to.

I hear that they are going to rename their LEC 'state name' Bell, e.g. Illinois Bell, Minnesota Bell, Southwestern Bell, etc. They paid a consulted $7million to come up with those names. ;););)

I always wondered how much $Ms cost to get "Cingular," that they threw away after 3 years.

I just heard on one of the tech podcats that the ID-whatever consulting company that makes up these names (Plaxo, Flickr, WhatevR) get a minimum of a million.

Whatta scam. They prolly have a list of nonsense names, pop the top one off the stack for the next rube, and send the bill.

I always wondered how much $Ms cost to get "Cingular," that they threw away after 3 years.
I heard from a buddy in Austin who worked for SBC that it was close to $1.5M

I just heard on one of the tech podcats that the ID-whatever consulting company that makes up these names (Plaxo, Flickr, WhatevR) get a minimum of a million.

Whatta scam. They prolly have a list of nonsense names, op one off for the next rube, and send the bill.

Remember the Lucent logo?
lu.gif

$3M and it was parodied in Dilbert as a coffee stain. The employees called it the the 'flaming a-hole'

Remember the Lucent logo?
lu.gif

$3M and it was parodied in Dilbert as a coffee stain. The employees called it the the 'flaming a-hole'

friend of mine always called it Lucifer, and thought the logo was just a mis-shapen pentagram... :rolleyes:;)

Back