NA Ditch Photstream?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My iphone4 is running out of space for Foreflight.
And that is with the minimum database required for most of my usual flights.

Looking at my Usage, my 6 (yes, six) photos are claiming 1.2gB of space. No videos, either.
Looking deeper into Photos and Camera, Camera Roll (CR) gets 14.4 MB and Photo Library 0 bytes, and Photo Stream (PS) 1.1 GB.
I thought PS was in the cloud, to begin with. Why does it need so much space on my phone?

I don't ever look for, or access PS so I can't imagine that I need it.
When I take a pic, its in CR and I either fwd it to my laptop by email or send them to someone, then I delete them.

Can I lose PS? Agree it sounds like I should? (How to dispense with?)
Thanks

My iphone4 is running out of space for Foreflight.
And that is with the minimum database required for most of my usual flights.

iPhone 4? Don't those pre-date the first Bonanza? (that's what my nieces would tell me :p )

I use a 4S and don't have enough memory for the current version of the Apple OS. I don't have any photos or video on the phone and have never downloaded an app to it from the Applestore. Is there some way to update the OS short of ditching a perfectly good phone?

You know you could swap out the Micro SD card for a bigger one....oh wait.

I'm not a techie, but this is what I've been told. Under some circumstances you can "delete" photos, but even though they no longer show up in the Photos app, they're still taking up space. I've experienced this with photos imported to iPad via SD card in Apple's "Camera Connection Kit". I'd imported several gigs of photos while on vacation, and while I thought I'd later deleted them, I didn't get any storage space back.

There's a third-party desktop computer app called "iExplore" that lets you see those files in there when the iDevice is connected, kinda like Microsoft Explorer (thus the name). You still can't move those files around (thanks, Apple :( ), but you can delete them. With iExplore I was able to get rid of those hidden, "deleted" files and reclaim some space.

The iPhone 4 is becoming a bit long in the tooth these days. I'm surprised that your battery is still holding out.

Photo Stream will download shared streams to your phone when you subscribe to them--that's how you can view them on the phone. I presume that if you unsubscribe, they will be removed from the phone. Of course, you can turn Photo Stream off completely in Settings as well.

I have noticed that if I do a backup and restore from iTunes, I will often reclaim a small amount of storage. There must be some extraneous data that gets wiped when that happens.

JKG

Is there some way to update the OS short of ditching a perfectly good phone?

Update (or Backup & Restore) through iTunes. Your device still has to be supported by the latest version of iOS, which I believe is the case with the iPhone 4s.

JKG

Back