[NA]disembodied computer[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is it possible to set your email browser to send family 'e-bombs' to arrive, after you depart this world?
ie "Hello from the afterworld, all is well - thinking of you"

Any other explanation for an email from someone who was recently cremated, and for which only the surviving spouse has the email details such as password, indeed even his only computer?
Creeped out in Mexico.

There have actually been commercial services that do this. Not sure if they identify themselves with the return address.

wow I had no idea, a search confirms your post - 'give you one last chance to needle your family and friends...from beyond the grave!'

ah one point about this case.....the deceased apparently did not realize he was about to die!
And no one else had access to his accounts/computers. The recipient is a stable personality. (until now!)

I don't know about browsers; it is very possible to set up a program to have Outlook send e-mails. I could imagine a program tht sends e-mails if some one doesn't enter the correct code over a number of days. I suppose it is possible to build it into Outlook as a macro.

I don't know if it was done in this case.

Edit:
It is possible for programs on a computer to fill in web forms (like those for e-mail), again, I don't know if the user did so in this case.

Last edited:
In Outlook you can set the send time at a future date, so you can email your boss at 1 AM so he thinks you worked late.

Are you sure the e-mail actually came from him? You can set a from address to anything you'd like. I could send you an e-mail from Obama@whitehouse.gov before I could finish writing this post.

You really need to look at the e-mail headers before you jump to any conclusions. If you send me the full e-mail headers I can tell you where it came from.

Did the email contain information only the deceased could reasonably know? Heck, post the email, these kinds of things fascinate me.

Most likely a clever, yet sick, deception, but it could also be a buddy who had instructions to email something in the event of his death.

OK it is not that mysterious anymore. Not completely solved but I sent an email to the address and got that message back too.
Further query, the widow had sent an eblast out to her collection of friends & family not realizing his was on the list. Then she got the greeting.
Now she just has to figure out who changed his browser to autoreply to all messages in this manner.
Thanks all.
Thanks Jesse.
Go ahead and send that whthouse email, I will feel better after I get a chance to respond!

Back