[NA]cell phone Q[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
for a pal.
He has a several yrs old Kyocero KE414 and they are telling him it has no sim card. Possible?
Its died, mainly he wants to move his phone numbers over, isn't that the way to do it.

(BTW I am not even sure if I am saving my (huge) directory to the phone or sim card on my own phone. Howdya tell?)

The Kyocera KE414 was a CDMA phone. In the US there is no SIM in CDMA. Over in China and a few other Aisan countries SIM is used in CDMA. But that is just background info for you. The only way to get the memory transferred is if the shop has the ability to down load, via a cable, and then back up his new phone. They might, but I doubt they will be able to support that old phone. He is most likely SOL.

I recommend that for his next phone that he has the ability to synch with his computer address book so that he has a back up of contacts.

He should be able to carry his number to whatever carrier he wishes. Even his current carrier can issue a SIM card that's tied to his account to be placed in a new phone provided by that carrier or unlocked to be used with that carrier.

hey! I want to synch w my computer, how?
Samsung cheapie phone, model not obvious.
Card reader??

Dave you said "phone numbers" in your first post and then Kenny mentioned number portability. Just to be clear are you talking about the phone number of your friend and whether he can move his phone number to a new phone or copy all of his stored phone numbers to a new phone?

Those are two different things and Kenny and I address both.

Your friend can keep his phone number with a new phone, but if he wants to move what is stored in memory that will take some work.

stored phone numbers only, you know...

gal from Kxxx 123-456-7890
gal at Kzzz 098-765-4321
fbo girl at Kyyy 567-123-0987

stored phone numbers only, you know...

gal from Kxxx 123-456-7890
gal at Kzzz 098-765-4321
fbo girl at Kyyy 567-123-0987
I tried these numbers, and they didn't work. Do you have alternate contact info?
:blowingkisses:

And to what Ken and Scott said, I'll add that a number of wireless companies now allow you to backup your address book on the network for free. I know Verizon does, and heard a radio ad from another company recently offering the same service. Probably won't help this, though, unless the phone is still functioning.

And a phone's model number is frequently under the battery. Why they make it so difficult to get to, I don't know.

After market outlets still sell USB data kits with software for that model to move his info to a computer - however the phone has to at least power up for them to work.

How much does he want those numbers? A consultant could recover them even from a brick, but at three figures per hour most likely.

Last edited:
thanks, the phone is dead and he has manually reentered. I will advise one of your backup systems for next time.

Back