[NA]Cell phone purchase[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking at a replacement cell phone - s.o.'s phone is not reading sim card, have cleaned contacts and tried other sim card, ATT wants $250.00 for a replacement. (it might be cheaper to pay out the contract and start new with someone else)

I see a bunch on ebay for 25$.....(is there a better place?)

The main concern is getting one that will work - I'm not familiar with the specs.

-GSM? needed or not?
-"Unlocked" necessary?
-claims of various Mhz capabilities

or is a cell phone a cell phone?
We have very basic needs when it comes to phones. Bluetooth, camera not really necessary. Probably won't use outside the conus.

Must be GSM;

Need not be "unlocked,"

1900 & 850 MHz.

What do you want the phone to do, besides... ummm... phone calls?

For ATT, it must be GSM.

Unlocked will give you a LOT of flexibility when the contract expires or if you travel overseas and want to use a (cheap) prepaid SIM card. I won't buy a locked GSM phone.

For US, Spike is right. If you travel to other countries, look for a "quad band" phone - you can generally get them at about the same price as a US only.

I bought my Blackberry (unlocked) as a refurb through one of the online companies (NOT eBay) - either Ubid or RefurbDepot. It was about $80 + shipping. It looks and works like new. I use it on T-Mo. Ebay is riskier than some other options.

Back