[NA]Cell data vs wifi use[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
iphone 4

If you have a good wifi signal, will the phone preferentially use the wifi?
If no, can you tell it to use that as your preference, (other than turning Cell Data off)

The entire point of having wifi on with a cell signal is to use data on the wifi to save cell data when your not around a wifi. :)

Yes. My phone and iPad automatically use wifi networks that I've joined in the past. Home, work, daughter's house, etc. I don't take any action, it just happens. I can select to show new networks or not. That can get annoying so I usually turn the available network prompts off.

Karen recently got a message on her iPhone that she was about to exceed 5gb for the current month and was about to get "throttled" by AT&T.

The fellow at the store said the phone will pick the best signal, so if you're WiFi is weak for any reason, it may use cellular instead. And that, to be safe, just kill cellular when you're on WiFi.

Right now I am in a Dr office waiting room, lots of devices out, internet pretty slow - think there is an advantage to shutting wifi off?
ie is it preferentially waiting for wifi data when cell data might really be faster?

Right now I am in a Dr office waiting room, lots of devices out, internet pretty slow - think there is an advantage to shutting wifi off?
ie is it preferentially waiting for wifi data when cell data might really be faster?

That happens to me a lot - internet is interminably slow on a public WiFi, and things speed up measurably when I switch it off. Have to remember to switch it back on when I get home, of course!

Back