[NA]burning DVD help[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Remember, my Toshiba laptop would not burn a DVD.
Tech help said you need to buy 4x DVDs, can't burn 16x
So I called a service center and they got the laptop, changed out the drive and installed Nero; said we are gtg.

I opened Nero and do not see an option to burn a WMV file so I tried to drag and drop onto the DVD icon and I get this error message:

The Goal is to put a video from my Canon camcorder onto a DVD and have others play it on computer/home DVD

Thanks

Attachments

• j.JPG
    j.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 14
You cannot justy drag it and drop it; you have to load the video into the software, and select the option for writing a DVD (sorry, no Nero here to work with).

From Windows Movie Maker, it is "Publish to DVD," and I think it is something similar in Nero.

I dont see the option.
Burn to CD is grayed out (a formatted CD is installed)

Attachments

• j.JPG
    j.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
Grrr that right there just ain't right. Why so?

Because there are music CDs and CD's containing data. The movie DVD format is strictly standard.

You have to let the software convert the data you have into the format of consumer media.

The consumer formats ARE data but specifically encoded and with some stuff on it so a dumb ol' CD or DVD player can understand it.

When I drag a 'clip' (one of the snapshots) to the timeline, I get about one minute of the video only. This is a 20 minute video.

When I drag a 'clip' (one of the snapshots) to the timeline, I get about one minute of the video only. This is a 20 minute video.
WHere did the clips come from. If they are downloaded from your video camera, that would be normal. The download process saves each clip from the camera as a separate file even though the camera will play them end to end in preview mode. For this purpose, a "clip" is what was recorded between the rec on and rec off.
Dbl-clk on one of the clips and it should play in the preview window to the right to check this.
If this is the case, you have to put all the clips individually in the time line.

They came from a Canon 940? camcorder. Canon automatically imports to a file on the computer.
I was able to select all and drag to the timeline.
Think I can burn a (usable) DVD now?
later....off to the airport to snag more video!

They came from a Canon 940? camcorder. Canon automatically imports to a file on the computer.

You are correct; this should work flawlessly.

Doesn't the software that came with the camera have instructions on burning to DVD? It may be crappier than Nero, but at least you can take a stab at it.

Will check that too, Mike.
I have my own ideas about how these things should work, really oughtn't be so difficult.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I HAVE OVERCOME THE BARRIERS MODERN TECHNOLOGY HAS PLACED BETWEEN MAN AND HIS DESIRES - YES, I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BURNED A DVD!

I used "Ulead DVD MovieFactory for TOSHIBA Launcher" which was preinstalled with this computer.

It was not pretty, it was not even marginally easy, but I am able to burn DVD from the camera directly to a DVD. The DVD I burned can be viewed on other computers and on my home TV set. It does a continuous loop of the same vid, but that is OK. Probably because I did not finalize the disk or something.

Next to see if I can transfer from harddrive to DVD.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement on this one!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I HAVE OVERCOME THE BARRIERS MODERN TECHNOLOGY HAS PLACED BETWEEN MAN AND HIS DESIRES - YES, I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BURNED A DVD!
Thank you all for your help and encouragement on this one!

Woot!!!! :D :cheers:

In the tech geek community we call that a BWA HA HA!

Do you have your resolution set to 640x480 or something? I've never seen such big icons in my life. lol

yah rub it in, you youngster - wait til you have some years on ya and you will be hoping to see those large icons at all! :rofl:

actually this is a tiny laptop screen 13'? so I use that as my excuse.

Will check that too, Mike.
I have my own ideas about how these things should work, really oughtn't be so difficult.

Dave,

There's a certain fruity computer company that agrees with you. You really ought to try one of their computers. :yes:

I have Kent, thanks - I owned several and did appreciate their capabilities when I had them...maybe one day I will go back. This computer's tbo is 2015 according to my plan; I will let you know how that works out!

Back