NA Boiler tales...

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
About 10 years ago I replaced the boiler in my home with a "high efficiency" unit. In this case "I replaced" means I did all the specification, purchasing, and labor. Operation has been fairly trouble free. Replacement of each of the two circulators and one defective control board has been the only expense. A flame sensor was a bit problematic and required annual cleaning until I used the wire wheel on it. Haven't had it out since then.

I opened the boiler housing for a visual inspection this fall. That's typical, look at it every 6 months or so and function the pressure relief valve. After that inspection the flame would be unstable for maybe 10 seconds each time the burner would fire. That was puzzling.

Pulled the gas valve off today and found the plastic mixing plate in a sad state. The plastic was brittle and basically in the early stages of disintegration. It was coming from together. Local supply house had a mixing plate in stock. They sold to me even though I'm unlicensed. I think it always helps to have all your info and parts numbers ready when talking to them. Anyway, back in service now. Parts cost was $20 for $0.05 worth of plastic...

Talking to trades guys while waiting at will-call there are plenty of construction jobs around if you can stay off your phone and do a days work.

Back