NA - any current or former horse owners here?

DeeG said:
Thanks, Carol. I really do miss the Snot Head. If I ever decide to get another horse, it will probably be for dressage only. I would LOVE to get up to Prix St George or even Grand Prix level, and Snotzy, being a QH, isn't built for anything over Second level. But that level of dressage horse costs more than my house, so that will probably not happen unless I somehow inherit some $$ :).
We ended up parking the plane in Ocala. Level II/III TS's between there and orlando, it got UGLY just south of Ocala. I did notice all the farms underneath us, it sure was pretty. I THINK I remember a track near the airport, but we were in such a hurry to get down and parked before the TS hit, that I wasn't paying too much attention to the scenery. This pic is as were are coming up on ocala. Raining pretty hard to the south and it was moving our way. Stinson got to spend the week in a hangar with King Airs and and jets. The hangar owner, believe it or not, was fawning all over the plane. Guys got a couple of Citations, and he's sitting in the left seat going, "wow, awesome, this is just wonderful!"

Lots of dressage riders here. It's a fairly closeknit community. As I understand it the skills are pretty difficult to master.

Those clouds can build up fast. I am glad you got to cover before you were stuck in them. Ocala is not the fanciest town in Florida but there are worse places to be stuck.

DeeG said:
Former owner... :(

Bought a beautiful QH about three years ago. Poco del Dan. Snotzy for short. Dressage, jumping and just putzing around the trails. I let a few people ride him, mostly the previous owner (she did some Western showing on him) and a couple of people that never left the sight of my trainer.
I never worried about anyone getting hurt on him. Nothing fazed him, not even rattlesnakes on the trails, and the other riders never took him out of the arena. Owned him for about 2 years, but the twice daily trips to the stables for feeding, my allergies, and all the STUFF that goes along with horse ownership (especially if you show) was too much. I sold him to one of the 'occasional riders' and she and her kids are spoiling him rotten. :) I miss my 'pony'...

You need to RUN away from that woman with the horse, she sounds like nothing but trouble. If all your mom wants to do is casual riding from time to time, find a good stable and rent. There is soooooo much to owning. Besides feeding (Snotzy ate 2 1/2 tons of hay a year, PLUS vitamins/suplements, alfala pellets, etc); vet calls (twice yearly shots, teeth floating etc); equipment (saddles, bridles, pads, blankets, lunging equipment, riding clothes and boots, etc etc etc); keeping the stall clean, keeping the horse groomed and clean, exercising, unforseen vet bills...we thought Snotzy had an issue with his coffin bones, which entailed barn calls and x rays, and special shoes (that had to be refitted every four weeks at $80 a pop), and I couldn't ride him for two months. Plus lessons, regular farrier visits, paying someone to care for him while I went on vacation, shoveling snow out of his paddock in the winter. Membership to the riding club, stall rental that went up 10$ a year, show fees, chiropractor (yup, there are horsey bone crunchers!), the list could go on and on. I loved having Snotzy. I've wanted a horse all my life. However, I'm glad I don't have to take care of one any more! PS Anybody in the market for a Stubben dressage or jumping saddle? :)

PS Anybody in the market for a Stubben dressage or jumping saddle? :)[/QUOTE]

Yep might be >>>What size? Price?? U can email me Cherokeeflyboy@comcast.net KD

Back